Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Social Networking

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you let your kids use social networking?

Options:

Yes

No, because of safety.

No, because no educational options.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 19

View Results

Hi there,

My kids are 9 and 11. A lot of their friends have access to social networking through their parents or their older siblings. I am a bit uneasy about letting my kids use social networking due to predators, cyber bullying, etc. I am wondering how other moms are handling social networking for kids that age? Do you allow your kids to use any social networking sites? Can you recommend any safe sites? Anything educational?

Thanks a lot!

by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Dec. 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I say no not just because of safety but also because I don't think young kids have the critical thinking skills and decision making skills to use it correctly. Hell, look at how many adults don't know. I have my 10 year old start with an email which I added to my phone. I can see every email she sends and get the ones she receives.
Ali645
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Thanks, that's helpful. I agree that it's super important to know everything your child is seeing and doing at that age!

wakymom
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM

No social networking for my tween. For one thing, he's not interested. For another, at least Facebook has a minimum age for an account and we're not going to break the rules.

Heck, my teen doesn't even go on social networking sites. He does have a Google+ account, but hasn't been on it in over a yr.

calsmom62
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:22 PM
i voted #2. ds 12 does not have it. ds15 has fb but inly since Sept because his youth group ldrship position communicates that way . I have kept them out if it because it keeps them out of the drama and the potential for some really bad consequences
mjande4
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 7:59 AM

My 12 year old has an instagram and my 14 year old has a facebook.  They are monitored and continually reminded of the posting protocols.

Ali645
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Thanks for your feedback! Does anyone use kid friendly social networks like kidzworld? I have also found some sites that are used to promote reading and are specifically for children, but there is a monthly fee. Would anyone consider using something like that? Thanks!!
princezlisa12
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM

My dd school likes to tweet activities and announcements (and last year her teacher tweeted special pics and activities), so I let her have a Twitter account.  She is hardly ever on it.  She does have a Facebook page but all notifications go to her email, which is strictly monitored via my phone alerts.  We have several family members that live out of state that she chats with, as well as her aunt & uncle that live on the other side of the state.  Lately she has been getting to know her half sister (through her father's side).  

She is only allowed on the computer when an adult is present.  I regularly check her email and facebook page, which she is aware of.  If there are any concerns concerning facebook, I immediately check it out.  I'm guessing when she enters Junior High, monitoring will be more prevalent.  

alliweben
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM

We agree with Facebook's age limit and will probably let our older daughter on FB in another year.   We'll monitor use then (for one thing, she will be required to "friend" us).  Both the girls have access to email, which we monitor, but don't use it much.   The 12 y/o has a cell phone without internet capability.  She wants to be able also to text her friends since talking is apparently out of date.   We are considering. 

Lyzmom
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM
My almost 12 year old dd just opened an Instagram account last month. I monitor it, and my 25 year old niece follows her.
The kids here in 6th grade are into Animal Jam. If you're not familiar, it's a game run by National Geographic where they can chat with friends and play together online. You set up a parent account where you can monitor their activity. Plus, you can set the level of chat, from only being allowed prewritten phrases to open chat. Even in open chat, there are rules about what can be said. No asking for names, phone numbers, where they live or any other personal info. I like it.

I also let her get a kik account to text with her friends. I monitor that as well.

We have strict rules for social media. I can check activity at my discretion and if rules are broken, privileges are suspended or revoked, depending in the offense. So far, she's been very responsible about it.
scapermom
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

My 11 yo doesn't have FB. We're abiding by the age rule and when she does get it I'll be on her friend list so I can monitor.  She has recently started with Instagram but knows not to post pictures of her self (or her friends). I follow her on that so I can make sure she's abiding by the rules. She has email & I have her password & check it often. We also post YouTube videos of our dogs together. She films & edits them herself, which I consider skill development.

She plays an online game called RoBlox where she can interact with others online 'chatting' but she is aware of the safety rules (no giving out personal info.), plus I keep checking on what she's doing.

It's a tough job keeping up with all the things our kids are doing online. I applaud you for thinking about it ahead of time.Most of the parents around here are very lax with what their kids are doing and that's leading to trouble. I feel that the most important thing we need to do is be more diligent about talking to our kids and getting them to talk to us about their social lives and what they are doing online.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)