Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dress clothes or dress casual?? Tween girls

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 9 Replies
So apparently my girls have decided their wardrobe is lacking dress clothes, after looking through their closets, they are right! So what does your tween girl wear for dress clothing? Not super dressy like a wedding, but a nicer dinner out, family/holiday gathering? Dress up days at school?
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Mine will normally wear nice pants, or even jeans with a nice top or sweater. To Thanksgiving she worn a nice pair of light blue jeans and a tan/gold sweater. For christmas she's wearing black pants and a red and white striped sweater.

alliweben
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM

We don't keep a lot of really dressy clothes on hand for them.  They rarely need them and will grow out of them.    My 12 y/o has a nice skirt and blouse, my 8 y/o a pretty dress for the rare really dressy occasion.  Otherwise, nice pants/jeans and top/sweater work for them, too.   

Erica246
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM

My daughter has a few summer dresses and a couple of more dresses nice gathering dresses.  I actually bought her a Christmas dress to wear this Christmas.  She hasn't had one of those since she was a toddler.

i really give her a choice when we do cloth shopping.  I do most of it online and she picks and chooses between things i bring up.

princezlisa12
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM

my dd loves dressing up.  she has a couple of versatile dresses that can she either dress up or wear casually depending on accessories.  She does have to have to nice outfit for her orchestra concerts, so we keep a plain black dress in her closet, as well as a black skirt and white blouse.  I also keep a few shorts and nicer sweaters and plain t shirts in stock just due to not knowing what activity will require a certain outfit.

Her new thing is wanting to wear heels, which I don't like.  She does have a pair of high heeled ankle boots because her dress skirt is too long and the material would be hard to hem.

Erica246
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM

That's bold.  I refuse to let my daughter wear heels in any form, even wedges.  One for her age, but also because she has flat feet and the way she walks, it wouldn't be good for her body alignment.

Quoting princezlisa12:

my dd loves dressing up.  she has a couple of versatile dresses that can she either dress up or wear casually depending on accessories.  She does have to have to nice outfit for her orchestra concerts, so we keep a plain black dress in her closet, as well as a black skirt and white blouse.  I also keep a few shorts and nicer sweaters and plain t shirts in stock just due to not knowing what activity will require a certain outfit.

Her new thing is wanting to wear heels, which I don't like.  She does have a pair of high heeled ankle boots because her dress skirt is too long and the material would be hard to hem.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM
I think they should have at least one nice skirt, a dressy top and a dress. If you want to keep it to a minimum, you could buy a top and a dress that work for summer and winter both, and buy a cardigan that can be worn with either of them for cooler weather. They need something that would work for a funeral and something that would work for a wedding, so one outfit should be darker colors and conservative, and the other could be brighter colors and a little more trendy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Oh I just saw that you said not for a wedding! Lol! For family dinners, etc. I think khakis are nice. Pants or a skirt work for that type of thing, and sweaters are good. I would do at least one cute skirt, a short sleeve top and a cardigan or jacket that can be worn in cooler weather. I have all boys, but that's what I do when my nieces are here. My boys wear khakis and a polo, button up or sweater for nice occasions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:17 PM

They have some dreses

cocoroo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM

My 12 yo ds has black dress pants and a white button down for orchestra concerts.  He also has khakis and other button downs.  He wears ties and bow ties on a regular basis.  I blame dr Who, lol.

My 11 yo dd has a few dresses, but wears combat boots with them all. Those are her dress shoes. I don't mind.  I think it looks cute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)