Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Age for a cell phone

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:08 PM
  • 22 Replies

Hi all!  I am new here and looking for opinions on what age you think is appropriate for first cell phone.  My son is 10 and my husband is convinced that he needs a cell phone and it has become a tense subject between us.  My son does have several friends who have them and I just think he is too young.  He is not that responsible and I don't see a need for him to have one yet.  Looking for opinions pro and con about getting him one.  Thanks!

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stringtheory
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:30 PM
I got my dd an iPhone when she was 10. It was not the latest model, so it was free with my contract. We dexided to get one for her because she had several neighborhood freinds and they were all always running around from one house to the next. She's eleven now and active in extraxurriculars which I have found the phone very useful for (if practice is cancelled, or they get back from an away meet, etc.) I know we somehow managed to survive without phones at that age, but it has really been helpful quite a few times, more so for me than her. A smart phone is definitely not necessary, of course, but she doesn't do much more than make silly videos with her friends (which do not go online or anything like that). I have checked it before without her knowledge, just to see if she did anything crazy on it and nothing she had on there concerned me, so I just make a point to go through her texts and internet history every once and a.while. My plan does offer a monitoring program for five extra bucks a month, which emails me notifications about unfamiliar number calls, nighttime and school hours activities, but it really has just been a waste of money since she really doesn't do anything she's not supposed to.
momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:39 AM

My oldest didnt get a phone till middle school and our middle child is getting one for christmas-he is middle school 12yrs old.

momofthem311
by Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 7:58 AM
We got our daughter one when we moved to a small town and the school field trips were going to start being 2-5 hours away from home. She was 9. She's always been a responsible child and has never once lost her phone we have never bought her one, always have her my old one when I got an upgrade. She now has an iPhone 4S, I've got a 5C.
Also we let her stay home when we have errands close by and she needs to have a way to call us or the police or whoever if something happens, we do not have a land line. I'm glad we got her one when we did.
lacey4
by on Dec. 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM
My oldest is 10 and she doesn't have a phone yet because she doesn't need one. She'll probably get one next year or the year after, though. I'd say 12 would be ideal.
mumsy2three
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM

My oldest was 12 and in middle school when she got her first cell phone. Not top of the line bells and whistle type phone just one to make calls/texts if something changed in her after school schedule/evening (at that time she was a cheerleader, in track and drama club). 

My middle child will be 12 in April and starting 7th grade this fall. We are planning to get him a cell phone for his birthday for the same reasons. He plans to be in after school sports/activities and it's easier if he has a way to contact us if something in his schedule changes.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Mine got them at 12 yo also. That was when they started getting dropped off places without DH or I being there.

DS1 went back east for 21.days to Boy.Scout National Jamboree. He went with a temporary Council Troop, meanimg boys from all over oir area.that only.do the special event. I wanted a way to contact him.

DS2 got his when he started community theater. They were always changing rehearsal, starting late, cancelling if only a couple people showed.up, ugggg.....

Neither really "needs" the phone. There are adults.around that they could.ask, but it is convenient.
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Dec. 25, 2013 at 1:13 AM

My oldest DD got hers at 9. She was starting 6th grade and would be walking to and from school (our backyard gate opens to the middle school field, but still...) and staying after for cheerleading. She's 14 now and has never lost or broken a phone. :)

My middle DD got hers at 8. In our neighborhood, that's just about the age where kids are bouncing from house-to-house all summer long. Most of the houses don't have landlines anymore, and she hated having to ask a parent to use their cell to check in with me. So we got her a cell phone. 1 1/2 years later, and she's been very responsible with it.

I think it comes down to maturity and responsbility, more than a set age.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 14 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 9 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 6 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 20 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 17 years old (niece) 

wakymom
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Back in Oct, we broke down and got a basic Tracfone for all 3 kids to share. So far, ds1 (14) is the only one who has had a need to take it anywhere. Ds2 (9 1/2) has asked when he'll get to use it; he and dd (7 1/2) don't really need one yet.

If your ds is not very responsible, not coming home to an empty house w/o a land line, and not going places where he would have to call you to come get him due to fluxating pick-up times, I agree w/ you, he doesn't need on at this time.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Which would be why we got our kids walkie-talkies w/ a 12 mile range. Much cheaper than phones!

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

My oldest DD got hers at 9. She was starting 6th grade and would be walking to and from school (our backyard gate opens to the middle school field, but still...) and staying after for cheerleading. She's 14 now and has never lost or broken a phone. :)

My middle DD got hers at 8. In our neighborhood, that's just about the age where kids are bouncing from house-to-house all summer long. Most of the houses don't have landlines anymore, and she hated having to ask a parent to use their cell to check in with me. So we got her a cell phone. 1 1/2 years later, and she's been very responsible with it.

I think it comes down to maturity and responsbility, more than a set age.

Nela12
by on Dec. 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Im 18 I've had a phone since I was in 5th grade, it was easier for my parents to get ahold of me & same for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)