Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Tween "Jobs" Sorta Long

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am rearrangin and redoing chore lists for my boys who are 9 and 12. I am taking a few ideas from a few different blogs I have read and tweaking it to my liking.

First the boys will have their base chores(their sister is included in this she is only 4), these chores are to been done everyday.

Base Chores are Keeping their end of the house cleaned up since they are the only ones that use that end and dirty that end, which includes:

• cleaning their room(making bed, picking up and putting things in their places, removing trash, sweep, mop a couple times a week)
  • cleaning their bathroom(wiping down counters, removing dirty laundry, empty trash can, sweep, mop a couple times a week)
  • cleaning their hallway(sweep, mop couple times a week, pick up/put away clutter
  • Dogs walked, fed, and watered
  • Taking out/ Bring in trash cans and recycling bins

Then the boys will have chores that are in the common areas we all share and there will be a schedule, who does what on what day and the pay for it, I am a little up in the air as to what I should pay them for each chore.

These chores include, pay is in red:

• Kitchen/Dining Room-includes washing dishes, cleaning counters, cleaning stove, sweeping, cleaning table, drying and putting away dishes $1 or 2
  • Living Room-includes sweeping, removing items that don't belong, cleaning under furniture $1
  • Mopping-only a couple 3 times a week .25
  • Baseboards- twice 3 times a week .25
  • Dusting-twice 3 times a week .25
  • Shaking out rugs 3 times a week .25
  • Sweeping front and back porches .25

Then we have a hire mom to do it chores, which will include:

• Cleaning the kitchen for them on their day, price will be double whatever I decide to pay them if they do it.
  • Doing their laundry, they do not get paid to do their laundry, but I will do it for them for a small fee:Wash and Dry-$2, Fold-$1, Put Away-$1

Now that is a lot to take in and now here is the question:I want them to also have a weekly "job" that they get paid for. Now my 12 year old mows the yard, so I was thinking that would be his "job" and I could pay him $5 to $10 bucks a week for that.

Now my 9 year old I am not sure what "job" to give him, maybe weeding and picking up trash and cleaning the yard? What are some ideas that would be good for a 9 year old that is hard but not impossible?

Oh and any input on prices for things I mentioned would be good as well.

Thank you sorry so long!!

by on Dec. 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tammeee3
by New Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I hope you are kidding..that seems like an awful lot for them to do..when do they get to be kids???and the paying for their laundry done is just ridiculous...
Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Jeez, I was thinking the same thing! My dd has just turned 13 and because she has ADHD and the bigger problem Autism Spectrum Disorder(ASD)(Asperger's really) but the powers that be changed the classification terminology in May2013.

My dd does chores on the weekend such as kitty litter duty, feeed/water the cat, play with cat, put away her own clothes, clean room. Those are the base chores. Other things are asked of her when needed (which isn't often). I'd rather her have a childhood, since it doesn't last all that long, and soon these kids will be thrust into the adult world where they'll have to do it THEN on their own. It seems like you want them as free(almost free) labor.

I would never do that to my kid's childhood, it's such a short time already. SCHOOL is their job.!

Quoting tammeee3: I hope you are kidding..that seems like an awful lot for them to do..when do they get to be kids???and the paying for their laundry done is just ridiculous...

Tonya_Lynn84
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM

These are not everyday chores, their room is everyday, but the rest is not. They do no do all that in one day.

I want them to learn on to do things they will have to do one day on their own, that is the point. I will not always be there to pick up behind them and clean up after them, the need to learn to do these things.

Sorry our views our different.

Quoting Morrigan333:

Jeez, I was thinking the same thing! My dd has just turned 13 and because she has ADHD and the bigger problem Autism Spectrum Disorder(ASD)(Asperger's really) but the powers that be changed the classification terminology in May2013.

My dd does chores on the weekend such as kitty litter duty, feeed/water the cat, play with cat, put away her own clothes, clean room. Those are the base chores. Other things are asked of her when needed (which isn't often). I'd rather her have a childhood, since it doesn't last all that long, and soon these kids will be thrust into the adult world where they'll have to do it THEN on their own. It seems like you want them as free(almost free) labor.

I would never do that to my kid's childhood, it's such a short time already. SCHOOL is their job.!

Quoting tammeee3: I hope you are kidding..that seems like an awful lot for them to do..when do they get to be kids???and the paying for their laundry done is just ridiculous...

Tonya_Lynn84
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:56 AM

How often do baseboards need to be wiped down, or dusting need to be done? Rugs need to be shaken out? Their are 5 in the house of which 4 can clean the kitchen, each has a night.

Obviously theses are not chores that will be done everyday, so at most they are doing 2 maybe 3 chores a day, I don't see the problem.

I have seen kids with far more chores, everyday chores then this. My kids spend the majority of their time outside playing.

Laundry they need to learn to do, as before it was there duty to have it done and always seemed to never get it done, so I am offering up a way for it to get done, with a small fee, I don't see the problem.

If they are earning money they need to learn to manage it as well and a few fees so they don't have to do a major chore I don't see the problem.

I was doing more then they are when I was that age and still had plenty of time to be a kid.

nebcutie
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:04 AM
The few things i would change...
Clothes- i would not charge to do there clothes but would say when there basket is full or they want them cleaned to put it by the washer and let me know and then they can fold them and put them away when they are done. If putting them away seems to be a problem then maybe i would charge them just to kind of make them think but to me that would part of a clean room.
For the things you are paying a quarter for... as a child at that age a quarter is nothing usually, i would just do the chore by the week and just change who does it by the week instead of the day so $1 for doing it the whole week and have a check off chart so they can check when they do it. I think pulling weeds would be a good one for the 9 yo.
Tonya_Lynn84
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Thank you for you kind input.

I see what you are saying about the chores and the price.

That was the point of this is to have some outside input so I can tweak it as needed.

Quoting nebcutie: The few things i would change...
Clothes- i would not charge to do there clothes but would say when there basket is full or they want them cleaned to put it by the washer and let me know and then they can fold them and put them away when they are done. If putting them away seems to be a problem then maybe i would charge them just to kind of make them think but to me that would part of a clean room.
For the things you are paying a quarter for... as a child at that age a quarter is nothing usually, i would just do the chore by the week and just change who does it by the week instead of the day so $1 for doing it the whole week and have a check off chart so they can check when they do it. I think pulling weeds would be a good one for the 9 yo.

nebcutie
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck! I know it is hard to figure it all out. I read your other comment and maybe the stuff you do want them to learn or know how to do for when they move out can be something they earn extra money for. So if they have a slow weekend or want extra money for something they can go to that list. As for laundry i think i would put a charge on it too if they cant seem to get it to you since it seems you are having trouble with this.

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

Thank you for you kind input.

I see what you are saying about the chores and the price.

That was the point of this is to have some outside input so I can tweak it as needed.

Quoting nebcutie: The few things i would change...

mama_lively
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds good to have the children do chores it shows them discipline and responsibility. I have two children I do a lot of the cleaning while they are at school but my kids are the type that want to help without being paid as a sense of accomplishment. My 9 year old cleans room,does laundry, dust, mows yard, rakes, pulls weeds, take out trash and pulls bins back up, blows out garage and driveway, sweeps floor,feeds fish. My 6 year old cleans room, laundry, dust, rakes yard, pulls weeds, helps with dishes, takes out recycle, organizes shoes by front door, wipes and sets table, vaccums, feeds cat.. I don't pay my kids but if you feel you should pay them I would do jars with their names on it and every job put in a gem after they fill the jar they get certain amount. Depending on the jar size. Good Luck
cocoroo
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 2:39 AM

You are nicer than I am.  My kids have chores, but don't get paid.  It is mainly keeping their room clean, putting away laundry, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN