Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Moms of tween girls - help

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:12 PM
  • 15 Replies
My dd is in 6th grade, middle school here. She starts swimming class for Phys. Ed. this week. She started her period this morning. She got her first period in late August, so this is new to her.
What do we do? She's scared to try tampons, and I hate to force her. Do I insist she try? Do I write a note to get out of swimming for this week?
I imagine this happens a lot, so what's the norm?

by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom22tumblebugs
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Write a note excusing her from swimming during pe. But then of course everyone will know, and she will have to deal with that peer pressure. She might be able to go somewhere to read or work on homework.

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:36 PM
I remember how horrible this was in middle school since it's a time where you really don't want to make yourself stand out for any reason. My mom wouldn't let me use tampons so she wrote me a note to excuse me and then everyone knew that I had my period and that I couldn't use tampons for whatever reason. It's not a great position to put these young girls in. I have no advice but I wanted to empathize :)
Lyzmom
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:51 PM
I don't think she wants others to know. She's very shy. I think she's thinking more about it.

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Write a note excusing her from swimming during pe. But then of course everyone will know, and she will have to deal with that peer pressure. She might be able to go somewhere to read or work on homework.

Lyzmom
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 3:54 PM
Thank you. I never had swimming in school, they didn't have pools. I can't relate, which makes it hard.
I'm not against her using tampons for this reason, but she's scared to try it. I know she doesn't want the embarrassment though either. Poor girl.

Quoting StephanieSH: I remember how horrible this was in middle school since it's a time where you really don't want to make yourself stand out for any reason. My mom wouldn't let me use tampons so she wrote me a note to excuse me and then everyone knew that I had my period and that I couldn't use tampons for whatever reason. It's not a great position to put these young girls in. I have no advice but I wanted to empathize :)
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:56 AM
3 moms liked this
They make special tween tampons. I would not force her to try it but encourage it.

You could always fib and say she injured her knee or something if you didnt want to give the real reason.
stuswf
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Yes, they do have jr. Tampons....just be sure she's relaxed if she tries.....maybe with her leg up (pic in tampon directions ).....maybe a little ky to help.....otherwise maybe she could stay home if she's uncomfortable with people knowing why she's not in PE? ( maybe pick her up for PE ad she has an 'appointment'??
GleekingOut
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:27 AM

...Has she had at school swimming before? I never had this issue because I didn't allow DD to do the swimming component until she was in grade 8 because she cannot swim competently due to special needs. Does she have PE daily? Give her the note, tell her to take it to the teacher BEFORE school, and tell her to just tell her friends that she's not swimming because she doesn't have appropriate swimmers yet. Simple and effective. As for tampons - If she's shy and scared about it -she's not ready for tampons.

ElvinCephalopod
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:31 AM

have her try OB brand tampons - they are much smaller than playtex or other brands, but work just as well (i think better) - they have no aplicator, so she would have to put them in her self, though

shashta102
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't make her let her stay home or call the pe teacher and try to work something out with the teacher
JanelleMon
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 5:29 AM

Try explaining how tampons work, and how harmless they are. Don't use it in  "Mother Daughter Time" talk, just use a calm voice and just talk her through it. It's best to calm down your daughter, than to overwhelm her with "try it, it's ok.." Or something like that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)