Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Is he old enough?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 8:02 AM
  • 12 Replies

Is a 12yr old old enough to watch a 4yr old for maybe 3 to 4hrs a few times a week?

Do you have a12yr old that babysits other peoples kids? or siblings?

by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:53 AM
My oldest watched his little brother for a couple of hours occasionally when he was 12. Idk if I would do 4 hours. Seems kinda long. I would start out with an hour, then two, see how he handles it and then maybe work your way up to four.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tonya_Lynn84
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Thanks for the advice.

Quoting Zamaria: My oldest watched his little brother for a couple of hours occasionally when he was 12. Idk if I would do 4 hours. Seems kinda long. I would start out with an hour, then two, see how he handles it and then maybe work your way up to four.

irishrose13
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Depending on maturity, I'd say yes.  I was watching my brother who is 6 years younger when I was 13 after school.  No, I don't have a 12 year old that babysits other people's kids or siblings.  My only is 8 1/2.

cocoroo
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I used to leave my oldest son I charge of the other kids when he was 12.  My daughter was also there, she was 9 at the time and was actually more mature than my son.  I only did it for an hour or so, and not on a regular basis.  I think 3-4 hours several times a week is a bit much.

Tonya_Lynn84
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I am asking because I am looking into a job with American Greetings Card Company. She told me that usually it's around 10hrs a week, except around holidays like Easter, Valetines, Christmas, etc. So must of the major holidays fall while the kids are in school, but the summer is my concern.

I have a 12yr old son, 9yr old son, and a 4yr old little girl.

I may just stick to my early morning 1am to 6am paper route.

Quoting cocoroo:

I used to leave my oldest son I charge of the other kids when he was 12.  My daughter was also there, she was 9 at the time and was actually more mature than my son.  I only did it for an hour or so, and not on a regular basis.  I think 3-4 hours several times a week is a bit much.

cocoroo
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 3:20 PM

You need to do what is best for your family and what will work for you.  My experience...I worked most of last school year, 4 days a week for 6 hours a day.  It was great for me during the school year, but a month into summer break, I quit.  I felt bad leaving my kids home like that.  But I was working a lot more hours than you would be. I have been a sahm for most of the last 13 years, so working was hard for me.  I'm used to being with the kids all the time if they aren't at school.  My children are 19 (not at home), 15, 12 and 11 now.  Good luck.

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

I am asking because I am looking into a job with American Greetings Card Company. She told me that usually it's around 10hrs a week, except around holidays like Easter, Valetines, Christmas, etc. So must of the major holidays fall while the kids are in school, but the summer is my concern.

I have a 12yr old son, 9yr old son, and a 4yr old little girl.

I may just stick to my early morning 1am to 6am paper route.

Quoting cocoroo:

alliweben
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 4:41 PM

It depends on the level of maturity, but most 12 yo boys and girls can watch a younger child.    During Christmas, we left my 12 y/o watching two younger cousins for a couple of hours.  She was also "watching" her sister (just turned 9), but we made the sister the "assistant babysitter" to make sure she caused no trouble!  

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 4:43 PM
I would do it for my kids but I don't think I'd let him do it for others yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 4:59 PM

We let ds1 watch his younger siblings when he was 12, but only for about an hr, 2 at the most. We didn't let him watch them for longer until he was 13 and had taken a Safe Sitter course.

gonecrazi
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM

No, not old enough to babysit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)