Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grounding for grades?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 4:50 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hi, my daughter is wanting to join a early college magnet school. Grades are extremely important. She has started to slack off in school this year and now has a,b,c and now a D. Do you all ground your children for getting C and D? If I saw that she was studying and trying hard I wouldn't be so hard on her. She is not turning in homework or if she is she's getting 50's. I have talked to her about it and she said that she has been "slacking off" :/ what do some of y'all do in this situation? She is in GIfted and talented and all AP classes in 8th grade.
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 4:57 PM
I ground mine if they aren't trying their best. Any time they have a low grade and haven't been turning in assignments they are grounded until it is at least a B. If they are trying their best and struggling with a subject, but I see that they're doing their homework and studying then they don't get grounded. I always tell them that doing their best is more important than what grade they get. Not doing homework and extra credit work and not studying is not the best they can do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissyB1011
by Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I ground mine for lack of trying. DD is more than capable of earning As and Bs when she does the work, studies, and applies herself. That is all that I can ask.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM

We homeschool through a charter. Because they have me available 24/7  and a teacher coordinator who we can contact if needed (though we never have for that purpose) my kids are required to get an 85% or higher in order to pass a lesson. if they score below that, they must redo the assignment. Sometimes this means reviewing and answering the same question, sometimes I switch them up. For example, I might assign 1-8 even one day, but if they miss some then I add in the odd # ones.

If they were in public school, I would have a similar expectation of As and Bs and MAYBE a rare C if there was an issue of some kind.

The policy in my house gowing up was if you got a C or lower I had to study for a set time per day. If homework NORMALLY took me an hour, they might require and hour and a half with proof of studying the low grade subject. I would have to outliine the chapter, take notes, or write up flash cards etc to "turn in" to my parents.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

bellasmom32510
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Yes. SD is in 8th grade, is in honors classes, and is a member of National Junior Honor Society.

If we see her study and work hard (ie ask for help etc) and she gets below a B then we don't ground her. However, if we do not see her study, she doesn't ask questions, ask for help etc. and she gets below a B she is grounded for a week (that is per grade - not average). In order for her to stay in both NJHS and her honors classes she MUST have a certain grade in the class otherwise she is removed. Generally we know if she put in the effort.

If she turns ANYTHING in late she is automatically grounded for 1 week. We do NOT put up with lateness!

This has been our policy for years and she knows and understands our expectations. As a result she has made either AB honor roll or Principal's Scholar (straight A's) since she was in 4th grade.

Momsissues
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:15 AM
I grounded mi child this time never have before for low grades, I felt horrible! He is in 4th grade. His teacher does not give them homework or study pages. once I asked him why and said its his politic because kids don turn their homework. Well I asked him homework for my kiddo so I'll know What he is teaching them. Send once and never again. Now I google for 4th grades printable work sheets for him so he can study or practice some. Although Mi child says its not what his teacher teachs.
wakymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:46 AM

We ground for Fs b/c we know all our kids are capable of passing. We haven't had this problem w/ ds2 or dd yet, but it's been an issue w/ ds1 since middle school (freshman now).

alliweben
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:12 AM

If either of my daughters brought home grades below what they could/should be, I would institute some required study time, which would be a type of grounding I guess.  

plprincess78
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I think it really depends on whether they are trying or not.  We are kinda going through the same thing.  I actually made a deal with my DD because she didn't study for a test.  If she passed with an 80 or higher she's was fine.  Lower than that there would be punishment as it her responsibility to study the things she needed to.  Needless to say she didn't do so hot and lost access to her tablet for a few days.  So of course..I'm the mean mom in her eyes right now but trying to get her to take responsibility for her actions.

craftyzenmom
by New Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:41 AM

We homeschool through a charter and so she has work to do from me and a couple of other teachers. When she has attitude issues and doesn't get her stuff done she loses priviledges. Mostly this means her extra-curricular acitvities are on the line- acting classes, Girl Scouts, basketball... She really loves these things so it's a huge motivator. She also goes to her room for having a bad attitude and comes out when she's got it back on track and can finish her work. I have high expectations because I know she's capable, if it's not 100% then we correct it until it is. At the same time we have a culture in our home that failing is ok, it can lead to great learning opportunities- we figure it out together. She's in 5th grade.

STG3kids1mom
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM

I tell my kids that even getting Cs is okay because they are not failing! Geez people grounding if their kid gets a B! None of my kids have ever gotten an a+ though and I tell them, Thats Okay!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)