Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice on how my son could make new friends..

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hi-

This may be rambly so bear with me please :-) My son is 11, and has always been an outgoing and gregarious kid. However, we changed schools this year from a private school (we had some issues mid year with the teachers so we pulled him out) to the public school in town. We live about 20 minutes from his old friends but most of them stopped talking to him when we stopped going to the private school. (He talks on Skype and plays online with one family still) 

When he started in November at the public school, he had one friend that he spent time with, and then soon after that, some of that boys friends and my son became friendly. So all was well. Then in late December, my son said that he and his friend had a falling out and now none of his friends will talk to my son either (kid politics..sigh) so now, he is left with only one acquaintence at school, who is in another class so he doesn't get to eat lunch or anything with her.

Bottom line is, he is not a sports kind of kid, so I'm not sure what else I can do to help him make friends locally..any ideas?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Get him involved in something that interests him where he can make new friends...

Boy Scouts
Youth group @ church
Robotics club
Sports team
mjande4
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

This. There's also community theater, chess, etc. ANYTHING with a social aspect.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: Get him involved in something that interests him where he can make new friends...

Boy Scouts
Youth group @ church
Robotics club
Sports team

bookmommy
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Thanks gals! I guess I need to find out what activities there are here in town. Not sure how to do that. I signed him up for an art class at school once a week, so I hope that helps..

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:16 PM
Chech your city website. Ours lists parks and rec.classes and programs. Everything from art to sports to theater.

For local scout units, try beascout.org and it will give you a list of the closest units to you.

Libraries usually have boards for local activities.
mamavalor
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Check with your son's new school.  I am sure there are some clubs or activities he can sign up for.  You can also have him invite some kids over for pizza and a movie, a couple of hours of hanging out.  Bowling or ice skating are also good ideas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)