Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Who knew

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:46 AM
  • 13 Replies
So yesterday my oldest who just turned 13 announced he wanted to start wearing boxers. I told him that was fine and when he out grew his current stock he could switch. Crisis averted or so I thought.

I went to do his laundry and no underwear, checked his drawers and found nothing. Thought it got mixed in with the other kids nope.

Anyway, when confronted he admitted he threw all his old underwear out so he could get new "cooler" ones.

Who knew boys underpants were such a hot topic.

After a long talk about why what he did was very wrong he was told part of his punishment would that HE would be buying the replacements. After a trip to the store and seeing briefs were going to cost him far less, we walked out with three brand new packages.
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 1:52 PM
3 moms liked this

So he went commando? 

I get my boys whatever style of underwear that they prefer.  It doesn't matter to me if they wear briefs or boxers because I'm not the one wearing them.  I don't even care what color/pattern they are.

SMD24
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 1:57 PM
No, he had one pair on. I don't care either, I just told him he would have to wait until he needed new ones. I am sure he learned that throwing things out will not get you knew things you want.
mjande4
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm surprised that you did NOT know it was a big deal. My own boys stopped wearing "tighty whites" in toddlerhood. You really should allow him to wear what underwear he wants. It's really not a battle worth fighting. He's probably getting made fun of for wearing them.

GleekingOut
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I feel differently. I feel that until you pay for it yourself -that you wear what I buy you. Obviously I won't make my kids wear character underwear as a tween or anything dumb like that -but me personally I feel underwear (not boxers) is important and that's how I've raised all my children. To them -boxers are PJ's -NOT underwear. I have two main reasons for doing so; 1) is that if they get dacked (where someone pulls someone else's pants down) the boxers will come straight down and cause MORE embarrassment than underwear and 2) I've heard waaaayyy too many horror stories about diarrhea and boxers to ever subject my kid (or the floors) to that. And because he tried to 'cheat' the system by throwing them all out; he'd get a pack of cheap underwear (or briefs, whatever they're called) as punishment/natural consequences. Boxers are more expensive too.

SMD24
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 6:31 PM
I have no issue with him wanting boxers. I have an issue that we came to a compromise and he broke the deal. If I had bought boxers it would have sent the message that what he did was okay and it was not. Next time he needs to underwear I will happily buy him boxers. But I will not reward throwing anything to go your way
mjande4
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM
2 moms liked this

He's 13 for goodness sakes! Pick your battles wisely. This is one that really is NOT worth fighting. Did he handle the situation correctly!? No, but you made it a big deal when it shouldn't be. I'll bet any amount of money that he's catching flack from his peers over your selection of underwear. Junior high is tough enough. Why add to it!?

Quoting SMD24: I have no issue with him wanting boxers. I have an issue that we came to a compromise and he broke the deal. If I had bought boxers it would have sent the message that what he did was okay and it was not. Next time he needs to underwear I will happily buy him boxers. But I will not reward throwing anything to go your way

mumsy2three
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Eh, to each his own. My boys have been wearing boxers since pre school. They tried boxer, briefs and boxer briefs. They both chose boxers. I wouldn't have made it an issue. If he wanted to try boxers I would have gotten him a three pack to test them out.

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this
DS has been wearing boxers for years. When he decided he wanted to switch, we went shopping and tossed out the old ones. No biggie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awbredux
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Glad I have two girls.  

calsmom62
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:46 PM
4 moms liked this
he was wrong to throw the old ones out but I think it might signal it is a bigger deal than you think. its a huge teasing point in jr high to be caught wearing the white briefs
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)