Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Stinky Nine Year Old

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:11 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hello there! I am writing in concern about my brother. He is 9 years old and in fourth grade. For a while now I have noticed that he pretty much always has an awful poop smell to him. It's not his breath, it's not his armpits, it is most definitely his butt.

Now my mom is not exactly the most patient person in the world and certainly does not appreciate criticism and she doesn't seem to see the severity in this situation.

I've mentioned it to her many times before, she's bought him wet wipes and talked to him about wiping properly which helps, but he still always smells like poop. She never enforced the rule of wearing underwear so now he is always going commando. Maybe I just have super sonic smelling skills or something.

I mentioned to my brother an hour ago how I think he should start wearing underwear before his friends start to say something. His response, "I'm used to it by now." This obviously broke my heart, I tried to get it out of him exactly what was said to him and when, but he won't talk. Even when I told him all of the things I was picked on when I was younger.

Alarmed I went upstairs to my mom to tell her about what I had just heard, she said, "Yeah he mentioned something about that a couple of days ago." I was stunned, shocked. She heard about this from him and did nothing? I feel I have to take this into my own hands now. What do I do? How do I approach this, if he won't listen to me what do I do?? I am so fearful for him, I know he is picked on for the way he looks and dresses and now smells, but my mom doesn't seem to care, or he fears saying something to us.

I am 22 years old and haven't lived at home in a while so I had no idea how bad the situation was. If you can offer any helping advice to an older sister trying to help out her little brother, your input is appreciated.

Please be kind and helpful. If you wish to email me instead of posting in the thread I'll be happy to provide an email.

Thanks for reading.
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Gosh that's a tough one! Maybe you could start by buying him some cool underwear. Not sure what is considered cool for a nine year old, but my oldest likes boxers. Maybe you could give them to him as a gift or something. If all else fails just be brutally honest. Tell him that you love him and want him to take care of himself, and good hygiene is part of that. Maybe include some sort of body spray and deodorant with the underwear and explain about good hygiene. I don't know how else you could go about it if your mom is aware of it and doesn't seem to care there isn't really much you can do besides tell them what you think. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Blessed2585
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I am sorry to hear about his. Is he wearing clean clothes and showering?

MominCa
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:22 PM

i am thinking two things . by now he should be able to shower by himself . maybe he is not scrubbing. get him soap he likes and a wash cloth that might help

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:06 AM
Try.and get your mom to take.him to a male.dr.and have the Dr discuss it.with your brother.
DesireMM
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:27 PM

I agree with this. And you should also try and get him one of those Axe bundles. That way it is the body wash, deoderant, body spray and all.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: Try.and get your mom to take.him to a male.dr.and have the Dr discuss it.with your brother.

RainyMorning28
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I  have a similar situation w/ DD (9). After tring everthing that was suggested Ex: Punishment, toileting every hour, ingnoring it, being pactient, being calm, freaking out, ect... I have found that her issue was due to high seperation anxiety. Now she is in therapy. Things are finally getting better.

maddiesmom1210
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:16 PM

My daughter had encopresis (which is leaking poop, google it) it was horrible.  I would definately see if he has a problem like that.  Be supportive, it could be a medical condition!!  Definately see a Dr.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

As his sister and not his guardian, you are limited in what you can do. Do you know who his dr is? Since your mom isn't listening, maybe you could call his dr and ask he/she mention it the next time he's in.

mama_lively
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:11 PM
My son is nine and doesn't have body odor thank god. If he did I would sit down with him and tell him we were goin to go shopping and get him so big boy stuff since he is not little anymore and that he can pick out what he wants and explain to him how since he is getting older his hormones in his body change causeing him to smell.we need to pick out Underwear, deodorant, spray,stronger soap.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Your screen name is "help me he stinks". I'm having a hard time believing this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN