Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Talking About Alcoholic Behavior

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:23 PM
  • 7 Replies

My SD is 12.  Her BM is an alcoholic with a gambling problem.  Is 12 too young to talk to her about alcohol addiction?  I'm trying not to be naive.  I was drinking at 17 and a couple of my uncles are alcoholics-one even committed suicide due to the addiction.

armypregnant bellylistening to tunesbaseball

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
steelcrazy
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:31 PM

We've been talking about drinking and alcoholism since our children were very young.  IMO, you need to start talking to her now.  I'm not even sure why you would wait.

DesireMM
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:23 PM

My son is 11 yrs old and we talked to him about alcoholism and cigarette addiction. I wanted to make sure I have a couple years to reinforce that he does not want to go down those paths.

kaybayblee3
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I personally would. Since her BM has that addiction, she is more at a risk of becoming one. It wouldn't hurt to have those talks with her.

RocknRoll.Rose
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

It's never too early. I grew up with a drug addicted mother so I've talked to my 11 year old brother about it many times. We have talked about both drugs and alcohol, as well as sex.

reading   playing soccer   boy n girl

Melody       Conner Wyatt and Tabitha

ctsmom1
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 11:00 AM

That's what I'm thinking too.  I think my husband has put it off this long because my SD is Daddy's girl and he doesn't want to do anything to rock the boat and make her upset, but he knows he needs to have that talk with her.  He's already had the sex talk with her.  I try to let him handle her since she hates me.

Quoting kaybayblee3:

I personally would. Since her BM has that addiction, she is more at a risk of becoming one. It wouldn't hurt to have those talks with her.

ctsmom1
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Quoting DesireMM:

My son is 11 yrs old and we talked to him about alcoholism and cigarette addiction. I wanted to make sure I have a couple years to reinforce that he does not want to go down those paths.

Understandable.  My SD is my husband's pride and joy- Daddy's girl.  I think this conversation is going to be extremely rough for him to have with her and that's why he's been avoiding it so long.  He's already talked to her about smoking and encouraged her not to which probably made him look like a hypocrite since he smokes, but he reinforced how easily you become addicted to nicotine.  He's talked to her about sex and admitted to me that that one was a pretty uncomfortable one.  Ummm... yeah, had that one with my son not too long ago myself.

ctsmom1
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 11:12 AM

My SD won't talk to me about stuff like this.  When her Dad had "the talk" with her, I told her if she had questions she can always come to me with them, but she looked at me like I'm an evil SM.  I just figured since I'm the mom in the house...  I think he just doesn't know how to talk to her about it without saying "Don't be like your mother".  They talk about everything though so it shouldn't be so rough for him especially when she's Daddy's girl.

Quoting steelcrazy:

We've been talking about drinking and alcoholism since our children were very young.  IMO, you need to start talking to her now.  I'm not even sure why you would wait.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)