Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

instagrahm trouble

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:11 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

How is it even possible to monitor internet with kids who are smart enough to make up new accounts with different names

by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Apr. 28, 2014 at 2:01 PM
2 moms liked this

It would be hard to monitor for sure and that's a good question.  My 10 year old doesn't have instagram or anything so hopefully I won't have to deal with it.  I would say maybe follow someone that is close to your child and see if you can get a sense from that what your child is doing. 

Also,if you can't trust your child, a smartphone, tablet, or access to any electronics without your permission may be something to consider. 

Homealonex2
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Kids today are do sneaky my dd friend have made accounts with different last names on fb so their parents don't know they are on. My dd set up her account on fb after school on someone phone. She had it two weeks before coming clean. I was MAD she did tell the truth but it took a while. I thought we had talked about everything prepared for everything then I find text messages from a boy and her. Let me tell you the way he was talking to my dd I wanted to wring his neck. I was mad she allowed it. He wanted her to make a video.
I'm not sure there really is a true way to keep them safe. I'm ready to put mine in a bubble. She will be 13 on Fri things she gets involved with are crazy.
Randijt154
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 8:21 PM
I have my iPad and my DD's linked so every app she downloads, loads on mine. I check her Instagram frequently and have networked with other mamas (of her friends) and we fill each other in on questionable things.
bluelola
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:20 AM

I went to a Grade 6 parent's meeting last night to discuss their end of the year camping trip and no electronics will be allowed which is great!!  But the teacher said that one of the middle school teachers was there to talk about next year when they move on and the biggest problem there is snap chat..... lots of bullying etc. via snap chat.  My grade 6 son does not have a cell phone, but he does have an ipod touch which most of them have and snap chat is there in an instant and then it can be deleted in an instant.  He was the target of some nasty stuff and he told me about it.  I wanted to see it and then it was gone.  I wish for the good old days and by that I mean 6 years ago when our oldest son was in grade 6.  They had ipods with music and some games, not wi fi with all kinds of apps.

M4LG5
by Valeri on May. 3, 2014 at 12:50 AM
I was a chaperone at my daughter's science camp.....electronics were not allowed but all of them that have one brought it. There was no wifi so it prevented them from using it except in the dining halls where there was wifi. Even when we saw it out we told them to put it away or it goes away. Dome kids did not cope well without their electronics. Sad really. My daughter doesn't have a cell phone but she does have a cheap tablet that she uses for email and some games but mostly to read her books.

Quoting bluelola:

I went to a Grade 6 parent's meeting last night to discuss their end of the year camping trip and no electronics will be allowed which is great!!  But the teacher said that one of the middle school teachers was there to talk about next year when they move on and the biggest problem there is snap chat..... lots of bullying etc. via snap chat.  My grade 6 son does not have a cell phone, but he does have an ipod touch which most of them have and snap chat is there in an instant and then it can be deleted in an instant.  He was the target of some nasty stuff and he told me about it.  I wanted to see it and then it was gone.  I wish for the good old days and by that I mean 6 years ago when our oldest son was in grade 6.  They had ipods with music and some games, not wi fi with all kinds of apps.

Marge2624
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I link my DD's iPod to my iPhone too and have others who can keep an eye on her posts.  Luckily, my daughter is good.  I have had to call my sister many times about the things her daughter posts!

Quoting Randijt154: I have my iPad and my DD's linked so every app she downloads, loads on mine. I check her Instagram frequently and have networked with other mamas (of her friends) and we fill each other in on questionable things.

Randijt154
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:19 AM
I hate making "informant" calls. But I feel so blessed when the other moms call me. With all this technology, it really does take a village.

Quoting Marge2624:

I link my DD's iPod to my iPhone too and have others who can keep an eye on her posts.  Luckily, my daughter is good.  I have had to call my sister many times about the things her daughter posts!

Quoting Randijt154: I have my iPad and my DD's linked so every app she downloads, loads on mine. I check her Instagram frequently and have networked with other mamas (of her friends) and we fill each other in on questionable things.

lesgarver
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

i check my dd (11) iphone regularly to see what is going on with her accounts.  she is pretty honest with me about her accounts and asks if she can make one when a new one comes available and we have regular talks about internet being for ever, even on snap chat anyone can save the pic that is sent with a screen shot. i do occasional get a text from a family member that is following her when she shares something inappropriate for her age and then i have her take it off. 

calsmom62
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 12:44 AM
3 moms liked this
take away the wifi or data plan on devices. make them use a pc in the family room and restrict access to all but their own desktop and give tbem g rated access.
4HMomto3
by on May. 6, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Kick the kid off the internet, period!  Remove all items that allow them on the internet until they can prove they are mature enough to follow your rules. If they are getting online at friends houses, then they dont go.  If it's at school, inform the school .  If my kids don't follow my internet rules, they loose it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)