Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

First period symptoms.

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:12 AM
  • 9 Replies

I don't remember this from when I started so I thought I would post about it. For the past two days my dd has wanted to lay with me at bedtime and she crys. She said she has no idea why she is crying but just feels like crying. She will be 10 next month. She hasn't had any discharge or hair growing yet. I started a week before my 11th birthday. 

by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
plprincess78
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:39 PM

No help from me..I'm in the same boat.  DD also is starting to get really emotional.  She's already starting to develop in the chest area but no signs of hair under her arms or in her private areas yet.  So I don't know if she's gonna start soon or not.  She doesn't turn 10 until December.

Her dad actually asked me to help him figure out what he needs to keep at his house for her because even he's noticed the changes...lol So I'm trying to figure out what I need to do.

I didn't start until I was 16 and had hoped we wouldn't cross this bridge with her for awhile.  I don't think I'm gonna get my wish.

Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of man.  ~Rabindranath Tagore

princessmom2005
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM
I remember having bad cramps and being really emotional, but not really understanding why. I was 12.5 when I got my first period. My daughter's 9 and hasn't shown any signs (thank God) of going through puberty. I figure it's going to suck big time when she starts too since I'll have to put up with AF at least another 20ish years. Between AF and endometriosis, I can't wait to go through menopause-I'm going to do a happy dance when I have my very last period.
awbredux
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Once my older daughter, now 12, started wearing a bra and getting armpit hair, I was on alert and tried to have her be on alert as well.   I don't remember her cramping or being emotional before her first period actually started, about a year ago.  

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

It doesn't sound like she's getting ready to start just yet, but she definitely is starting to experience the hormonal swings.

lizzig
by New Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 11:21 AM

my daughter started her period last november, 3months after she turned 10.  i knew it was coming though.  she started to wear a bra about a year & a half before.  she had underarm & pubic hair.  she wasn't emotional though, not really moody either.  when she started there were no red flags.  thankfully i did have a few pads on hand (i haven't had my period since 2006, pregnancy, breastfeeding & iud).  thankfully she so far hasn't had any issues with her period.  not cramping, heavy bleeding.  some of my sisters are cursed with that.  she doesn't really get pms either, she just eats more that week! ;o)

lizzig
by New Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 11:50 AM

when my daughter started her period last november i wasn't really prepared for it, she had just turned 10 in august.  i knew it was coming but still hoped it would be a little further out & wasn't prepared.  lucky i still had a few leftover pads (i haven't had a period in years).

once she started we went shopping & made two little kits.  one for home & one for on the go.  i got her a nice little make-up bag to put pads & wipes in for when she's at school or out & about.  at home i got a little storage bin to keep things in under the sink.  we keep it stocked with pads, lines & the wipes.  i also got a bottle of pain meds for if/when she gets cramps.  thankfully that has yet to happen.

Quoting plprincess78:

No help from me..I'm in the same boat.  DD also is starting to get really emotional.  She's already starting to develop in the chest area but no signs of hair under her arms or in her private areas yet.  So I don't know if she's gonna start soon or not.  She doesn't turn 10 until December.

Her dad actually asked me to help him figure out what he needs to keep at his house for her because even he's noticed the changes...lol So I'm trying to figure out what I need to do.

I didn't start until I was 16 and had hoped we wouldn't cross this bridge with her for awhile.  I don't think I'm gonna get my wish.

poeticdaisy
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I have twin daughters who are almost 10 1/2.  They spend their summer with their dad in Louisiana.  (I live in Michigan.)  They both have developed pubic, but not underarm hair and some breast growth.  One is more on the emotional side than the other.  I worry they are going to start their periods while they are away this summer.  I hope not, because I'm not sure how their dad would handle it and I know they would want me to be around.  I definitely need to get some pads on hand just in case.  i started when I was 11, so I'm hoping they have a little more time left. Kids just grow up way too fast!  Bittersweet days.  :)

katiebug840204
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:38 PM
My daughter has gone through that too. She however is starting to grow hair everywhere. I was 10 when I started my period...she has been 10 for a month. I think she is close.
momtimesx4
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:56 PM

My oldest was like that when right before she turned 12 but had no other signs such as boobs or pubic hair.  Started her cycle a couple months later.

Second one will turn 11 next month and no physical signs but I did find her crying for no reason in the tub last weekend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)