Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

New here, with a 12 year old.

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 12:41 PM
  • 3 Replies
Hi everyone!  My name is Angi.  I have a 12 year old and a 9 year old, plus my sister, about to be 12, is here 90% of the time.  They are all girls.  I am having alot of trouble with my 12 year old.  She is constantly arguing with me about everything, she is mean and rude to the other girls, and I get alot of eye rolling.  I just don't know what to do with her any more.  Alot of people have told me she might be getting close to having her first period.  Well that doesn't really help me figure out how to control her.  I feel like I yell at her all the time.  I cry about it alot, I feel so helpless.  I am married, but my hubby works days, and a few nights a week.  So I am alone to deal with the girls alot of the time.  Is there any one out there who has some advice??  Thanks!
by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MoonPenny
by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 12:52 PM
Yep that sounds like some days with my girl and I'm sure most moms here will say the same.  I have actually grounded my daughter before for having an attitude.  I hate being disrespected and I don't think I should have to take it if I don't give it to her.  I sit mine down and tell her (not yell) how much it upsets me and hurts me and that I don't deserve it and won't take it.  I tell her if it comes to it, I am happy to punish her for her lousy attitude.  I also try to make time for just her and me.  Sometimes it is only 2 times a month, but I will go to the mall with her, have lunch, or go to a movie.  I try to make it fun. I think that kind of fun stuff helps diffuse a lot of the tension that grows when you are both at each other's throats.  Good Luck!!
LuvvyBoo
by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 12:52 PM
Hi there! I'm Mary, single mom of 2 girls (ages 10 & 8 1/2) and I live in MD. 
I know what you're going through.  My 10 year old has attitude all the time.  I've sat with her and talked about it, and to help with it, she gets grounded, her Nintendo, phone, and TV taken away.  But try talking to your daughter, try and get her to open up about why she acts the way she does.  It could be hormones, she's not sure how to deal and she's frustrated.  Or try counseling for her...that helps too.
AngiBaby
by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 2:57 PM
I think I will try doing some one on one stuff with her.  One thing she says to me alot is how much I love her little sister more than her.  Not true, her sister just gets in less trouble and isn't as smart mouthy. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN