Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shaving

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:39 AM
  • 18 Replies

At what age is it appropriate to let your daughter shave her legs?  My daughter is 8 soon to be 9 and she has very hairy legs.  She is part Italian and her dad is super hairy.  I don't want her to be made fun of but I feel like 8 might be a little young.  Any advice would be much appreciated!  Thanks

by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShadowSwan
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:31 PM
Well my fair skinned blonde 10 year old has long hair on her legs, and I let her shave because she was self conscious about shorts and skirts, she told me she felt hairy. That was my que she was ready. Either the other girls don't have a lot of hair or they're already shaving for her to start feeling like her hairy legs stand out. I still do it for her with the electric shaver. She started getting armpit hair last year too, like darker and longer, it stands out. I think if it's dark, and her legs are showing, and she's comfortable with it go ahead. There's a mom that takes her kid to the salon to fix her unibrow, If it's something that distracts you and makes you wonder if it would improve her self image or prevent her from getting teased, itll help her stay confident during the rough years.
ShadowSwan
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this
But I will admit, I feel like I'm doing something my daughter wants, and I think it's good for her, and I feel right about the decision and timing but while I'm doing it it seems strange I go up a wee bit passed the knee, but you should see her face when I'm done, she just looks relieved and ready for the day. Like, imagine being a kid and looking at your hairy kid legs, looking at dad's hairy legs, and looking at mom's smooth legs, then look back at your legs, and imagine the confusion. Right?
awbredux
by Allie on Aug. 19, 2016 at 5:40 PM

My younger daughter turned 11 in January and "demanded" to start shaving her legs.  I was fine with that, because she has dark hair.   My older daughter has light hair and was almost 12 when she started.  

midjet117
by Member on Aug. 21, 2016 at 5:07 PM

my girls have been shaving since they were 10. (only last yr) I didn't think that they needed to, but I didn't stop them either. I don't know what is a good age, I think it all depends on your daughters comfort level.

futuremrsclark
by on Aug. 21, 2016 at 5:13 PM
My mom didnt let me shave til I was 12 but my hair is blonde.
mrsary
by Member on Aug. 21, 2016 at 5:15 PM
My kid started shaving her pits and vag at 11 (she is still 11). If she had hair on her legs she would shave them too.
wakymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2016 at 4:11 PM

It depends on how much hair your dd has, how obvious it is, and how your dd feels about it.

My dd is 10 1/2, in 5th gr, and has darker leg hair, but has not expressed any interest in shaving it yet. It just does not bother her at this point.

Mom1127-0125
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2016 at 4:22 PM
She started pointing it out to me but it's blonde but there is a lot. I think I might wait until she starts really asking to shave

Quoting wakymom:

It depends on how much hair your dd has, how obvious it is, and how your dd feels about it.

My dd is 10 1/2, in 5th gr, and has darker leg hair, but has not expressed any interest in shaving it yet. It just does not bother her at this point.

SeanandNoahsmom
by Dawn on Aug. 24, 2016 at 8:05 PM

My daughter wasnt interested until she was 13 years...

PrettyLittle6
by Member on Aug. 27, 2016 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Has she mentioned it? I would probably take my cues from her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)