Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nail polish

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:28 AM
  • 19 Replies
Make up? Is there a nail polish color you won't let your daughter wear?
Do you let them wear make up if so what age did you let them?
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awbredux
by Allie on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

For dance performances, I've put a little make up on both girls since they were 6-7.  Just enough to keep their faces from looking washed out.   Also, for my older daughter when cheering, beginning in middle school, as I will allow for the younger one this year.   My 15-year-old wears a little bit of make up for some occasions, but not every day.  I've helped her learn how to use makeup to enhance her features but not make her look like a clown.  That began this year, her freshman year in high school.   I will be OK with that for my 12-year-old when she gets there. 

I've never put any restrictions on nail polish color, but they've never chosen anything too over the top.    

Linda_Runs
by Linda on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:22 AM

Make-up is something we deal with.  We decided that being firm with an age for make-up is just going to cause problems that really don't need to exist.  So, the girls and I use some make-up for special dress up occasions, even at 9 and 12.  It works two ways as I see it.  First, they are satisfied because they feel grown-up wearing it and secondly, I get to monitor it.

As far as nails go, we have our special nail salon days every other month or so.

mama2b100808
by Group Admin on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I like this answer! Thank you. My daughter was a lil big on it but I stop it but she said now she doesn't like make up so we will see when she is older.

Quoting awbredux:

For dance performances, I've put a little make up on both girls since they were 6-7.  Just enough to keep their faces from looking washed out.   Also, for my older daughter when cheering, beginning in middle school, as I will allow for the younger one this year.   My 15-year-old wears a little bit of make up for some occasions, but not every day.  I've helped her learn how to use makeup to enhance her features but not make her look like a clown.  That began this year, her freshman year in high school.   I will be OK with that for my 12-year-old when she gets there. 

I've never put any restrictions on nail polish color, but they've never chosen anything too over the top.    

mama2b100808
by Group Admin on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Nice! I am planning on taking Bri again on her birthday. :) But I don't wear make up but on the days I feel like putting it on which is not a lot. Lol so she is liking the no make up till the right age.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Make-up is something we deal with.  We decided that being firm with an age for make-up is just going to cause problems that really don't need to exist.  So, the girls and I use some make-up for special dress up occasions, even at 9 and 12.  It works two ways as I see it.  First, they are satisfied because they feel grown-up wearing it and secondly, I get to monitor it.

As far as nails go, we have our special nail salon days every other month or so.

Linda_Runs
by Linda on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Excellent.

Quoting awbredux:

Linda_Runs
by Linda on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I do too.  Her children are also very lucky to have Allie as their mom.

Quoting mama2b100808: I like this answer! Thank you. My daughter was a lil big on it but I stop it but she said now she doesn't like make up so we will see when she is older.
Quoting awbredux:

Linda_Runs
by Linda on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:33 AM

You are lucky then.  Her time will come and probably by peer pressure.

Quoting mama2b100808: Nice! I am planning on taking Bri again on her birthday. :) But I don't wear make up but on the days I feel like putting it on which is not a lot. Lol so she is liking the no make up till the right age.
Quoting Linda_Runs:

awbredux
by Allie on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:37 AM

Thank you, Linda.  I'll re-read this the next time they are mad at me!   LOL!
Back atcha.  

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Quoting mama2b100808: I like this answer! Thank you. My daughter was a lil big on it but I stop it but she said now she doesn't like make up so we will see when she is older.
Quoting awbredux:

Linda_Runs
by Linda on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:38 AM

If children are not mad at their parents at least some of the time, that parent is not doing their job.  Same goes with the kids.  If they don't make their parents mad at least some of the time, they are not growing.

Quoting awbredux:

Thank you, Linda.  I'll re-read this the next time they are mad at me!   LOL!Back atcha.  

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Quoting awbredux:

awbredux
by Allie on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:42 AM

Thank you!
My tween rejected all things girly until she started 5th grade, then started changing.   I can see that she's influenced by having an older sister who is a teen, as well as peers.   So far, she still hasn't shown a lot of interest in make up.  She does like to paint her nails, usually multi colors.  LOL!  

Quoting awbredux:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)