Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Periods

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2017 at 8:04 AM
  • 22 Replies

After replying to another post, I thought I would start a new thread on first periods.  If your daughter has reached this milestone, how old was she when she did? If she has not started yet, how prepared are both of you?

For those who have started, what has been her biggest challenge with her period so far?

My 11 year old started last summer when she was 10 1/2.  Her main challenge has been avoiding or at least trying to limit leaks. Since she isn't regular yet we rarely have advance warning she will start, and since it is often quite heavy that adds to this worry.

by on Jul. 24, 2017 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awbredux
by Allie on Jul. 24, 2017 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Both my girls started at about 11 1/2, as I did.   By that point, we had talked all about it, and they were carrying in their back packs a small bag with pads and a change of panties.  The younger one, now 12, is not yet regular, but is learning some signs.  I can usually tell when it's coming on because of her mood shift. 

Linda_Runs
by Linda on Jul. 24, 2017 at 8:15 AM

I will be there any week now.

Linda_Runs
by Linda on Jul. 24, 2017 at 8:16 AM

The moods - no shit eh!

Quoting awbredux:

Both my girls started at about 11 1/2, as I did.   By that point, we had talked all about it, and they were carrying in their back packs a small bag with pads and a change of panties.  The younger one, now 12, is not yet regular, but is learning some signs.  I can usually tell when it's coming on because of her mood shift. 

Happiness_now
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2017 at 8:22 AM

What does she think about starting now that she knows her time is soon? 

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Linda_Runs
by Linda on Jul. 24, 2017 at 8:25 AM

She is a fairly fearless child but she is a little anxious but also excited to start.  This is a confusing time in any tween's head.

Quoting Happiness_now:

What does she think about starting now that she knows her time is soon? 

Quoting Linda_Runs:

mrsary
by Member on Jul. 24, 2017 at 8:26 AM
My DD12 started over a year ago at 11 years, 2 months old. I talked to her about it since about age 8. She just came up to me and said she thought she started her period. It was unreal and exciting!!
soccer711
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2017 at 9:25 AM
My daughter hasn't started her period yet. She knows I started at 12 1/2 so about her age - she turned 12 in May. We've had several talks and I think I'm way more prepared than she is though neither of us is looking forward to it. I don't think she's really prepared at all. My mom was looking at cute purses the other day when we were in Wal-Mart buying her some bras and she found one she likes so I think that's the one her grandmother will be getting her as her period purse to take to school and my ex's when she needs to.
awbredux
by Allie on Jul. 24, 2017 at 11:28 AM

You got that right!  

Quoting Linda_Runs:

The moods - no shit eh!

Quoting awbredux:

livelaughlove29
by Jennifer on Jul. 24, 2017 at 12:57 PM

I have 3 daughters who are 12, 11, and almost 10. I am on pins and needles that one of them will start any day!! I think they will all be scared but hopefully our talks have helped!

mama2b100808
by Group Admin on Jul. 25, 2017 at 1:15 PM

My daughter hasn't started yet but she ready :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)