Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

M Word

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:43 PM
  • 15 Replies

Menstruation

For those with daughters -- what's your daughter's experienc been so far (or what does she think of starting if she hasn't yet)

For those with sons -- is your son "in the know" when it comes to periods?

by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2b100808
by Group Admin on Aug. 10, 2017 at 7:15 AM

My daughter is having some signs. She only has a "hurt belly" once a month and it is usually when I am on my monthly. 

awbredux
by Allie on Aug. 10, 2017 at 4:55 PM

Both my daughters started at about 11 1/2, as I did.   We had had a number of discussions prior, and by the time they were 11, I had them carrying in their back packs a small bag with a couple of pads and a change of panties.   My tween, 12 in January, is just starting to be almost regular.  They both have the expected moods, but not serious cramps.   Starting was a little less difficult for my younger daughter because her sister had been through it.  

Happiness_now
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2017 at 8:50 PM

Mia started last summer at age 10 1/2. I didn't start until I was 12.

Ava is only 8 but is well ahead of Mia's developmental path so if she continues at this rapid rate will certainly start menstruating even younger.  

For Mia the biggest challenge has been leak prevention as she is not yet regular and flows rathe heavily.

2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2017 at 3:07 PM

DD is almost 10, no signs yet of it happening anytime soon. She knows what it is and  means.

My son is a father so I am postivie that he is fully aware what goes on with a womans body, LOL

M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 11, 2017 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest is 14 years old and has had her period for the last 1.5 years.  She hates it.  hahaha.  For a little while it was inconsistent but I think it's back to being consistent.

One of my twins (11) will probably start soon.  She's already developed and has experienced everything that happens before she starts.  She is aware of it and we talked about what to do.  My other twin is a ways from it.  She has not developed at all so will watch what her sister does.

soccer711
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2017 at 3:51 PM
She thinks it's going to be hell on Earth. I can't really say I disagree. There's just no way to put a positive spin on having a period. I don't know how my grandmother on my mom's side put a positive spin on it for 4 daughters (of which my mom's the middle).
Happiness_now
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2017 at 4:53 PM

Quoting soccer711: She thinks it's going to be hell on Earth. I can't really say I disagree. There's just no way to put a positive spin on having a period. I don't know how my grandmother on my mom's side put a positive spin on it for 4 daughters (of which my mom's the middle).

One positive spin is period products!

Imagine your grandmother using a belted pad! Have you ever seen or heard stories of those?

lbrownmama
by on Aug. 11, 2017 at 5:22 PM

My daughter turned 12 in June. She hasn't started yet. She knows it's coming one of these days,but she doesn't like to discuss it.

Caidysmom
by Member on Aug. 12, 2017 at 11:11 PM
My daughter started directly after her 11th birthday. She has mennoraghia..
EcoModernMom
by Member on Aug. 12, 2017 at 11:11 PM
10.5 year old just started. She's been spotting pretty much since first cycle, moody and mopey. Today she actually upbeat and happy for a change.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)