Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Saying Goodbye to a Friend

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:28 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mia is such a social butterfly, but Ava marches to her own drum beat and has never had many friends. Thankfully she does develop some really great friends - just few in number. She found out today that one of her few real friends will be moving to another state very soon.  I welcome any advice.

by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
wakymom
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Speaking as someone who has always had just a few close friends and moved a few times growing up, I'd remind her of the ways she can stay in touch with her friend. They can email, Skype, Facetime, call/text, go the old fashioned route and write letters to send via snail mail. . .

I know you said the friend is moving to another state- is it close enough that you could take her to visit over a long weekend or on a break?

anotherandree
by Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree that there are so many ways to keep in touch now.  Unfortunately, chances are they will drift apart but it will a slow, natural process.

Happiness_now
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting wakymom:

Speaking as someone who has always had just a few close friends and moved a few times growing up, I'd remind her of the ways she can stay in touch with her friend. They can email, Skype, Facetime, call/text, go the old fashioned route and write letters to send via snail mail. . .

I know you said the friend is moving to another state- is it close enough that you could take her to visit over a long weekend or on a break?

Thanks for these simple but wise reminders. Unfortunately it is across the country not just a few hours drive. I have no idea how long the friendship may last after the move but will make sure to keep the door open.
Happiness_now
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting anotherandree:

I agree that there are so many ways to keep in touch now.  Unfortunately, chances are they will drift apart but it will a slow, natural process.

Thanks. I appreciate the slow natural process language. Right now it feels so sudden - so immediate for her. I have talked about the positives of having a friend in a part of the country she has never been to as one way to help ease this along with sharing I will help make sure they can stay in touch.
ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2017 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
In today's age this is a lot easier. Yah it will stink not to see her regularly but there is still email and skype. Goodbye isn't never going to hear from you again, if it's a relationship they both value they can find ways to keep in touch.

It's still hard, I always liked smaller friend circles and growing up I had friends move and it's hard. My oldest has social skill delays. He had a friends just switch schools but to him that was the end.
PrincessAsmommy
by Member on Oct. 1, 2017 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

While there are lots of ways for them to stay in contact at this age there's a lot of emotion involved too. Make sure she understands that everything she is feeling right now (anger, confusion, depression/sadness,etc) are very normal and she's in a safe place with you and can expression those feelings as she needs. Once she's able to deal with the emotional side of her friend leaving she can find a way to be happy with phones, email, and IM/video chat. Maybe she can make a memory book of pictures, and stories and other special things as an I'll miss you present for her friend.

Linda_Runs
by Linda on Oct. 2, 2017 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
My advice is to set up a good system of communication. It is very possible that these two girls grow into their early teens that they will drift apart painlessly but still remain as just friends.

So look after the immediate now and see how it develops.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)