Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you have this rule?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2018 at 6:06 PM
  • 22 Replies
When I worked at a daycare several years ago we had a rule about the kids not being allowed to make guns out of toys, or with their fingers. Now that I think about it, it’s been a rule everywhere I have worked with kids.

Did you have this rule at home when your kids were younger?
Also - did you not buy toy guns or Nerf guns for your kids?

These are yes or no questions but you can go into detail if you would like.
by on Feb. 26, 2018 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 6:09 PM
Guns are allowed in this house. Both of my kids have nerf guns, finger guns, cap guns, rubber band guns, even real guns.
anotherandree
by Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 6:12 PM
We don't have that rule. We also buy our kids Nerf guns and squirt guns. Along those lines, they obviously don't look anything like real guns. My son plays "blasters" as makes the sounds like in Star Wars.
diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Feb. 26, 2018 at 6:12 PM
My boys have Nerf guns, and water guns.
K3412
by on Feb. 26, 2018 at 6:14 PM
Never had that rule and play guns were and are very common in our house.
wakymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 6:41 PM

I didn't have that rule in the house, and yes, my kids have Nerf guns. We do have a few water guns, but they are cheap ones that don't work well. Our only rule is that you do not aim them at anyone's head.

Now that I work in a school, if the kids are pretending their fingers, or bananas, or anything else is a gun, I just tell them that it's not school-appropriate.

ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 8:32 PM
I remember picking my oldest up from day care and he was crushed cause the teacher just destroyed the thing he made that looked like a gun. Dh, who is ex military and pro gun didn’t take well. Let’s just say it was a rocky few months until he started kindergarten.

We all have nerf guns and we play family nerf wars. One could argue sadly it teaches kids some of those things if their school used ALICE they will learn. I remember when I was younger Reagan was shot and we played shhotbyhe President. Btw I couldn’t be the president cause I was a girl. Anyway gun play after incidents like this is also a kids way of processing.

I haven’t mentioned it here but my hometown is going through a weapon scare. YDS plays hockey in that city and this all went down over school vacation last week almost a week to the day of Florida shooting. Like every week they get ready and wait at the door for their turn on ice and hockey sticks flipped upside down do make good play guns and they do all the time but Friday a few of us moms were trying to tell them no. Most of them at the time didn’t know what had been going on just some parents have been going over the edge over this just didn’t want one of the unhinged ones to see it.
cybcm
by Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 8:35 PM
It's never really come up?

None of my kids have ever played gun games in front of me, nor have they ever asked for gun toys. Nerf toys aren't huge here, they exist, but not all toy stores stock them.

It's possibly just a consequence of their environment though. We live in Australia, we don't live rural, it's not a part of their world.
EnlightenedMa
by New Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 9:05 PM

No.

PrincessAsmommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2018 at 9:16 PM

When they were toddlers and preschoolers yes I had a rule like it. But as they got older and received nerf and water guns for gifts we adjusted the rule and educated them about guns and that ONLY water and nerf guns are toys and even these are NOT to be pointed at anyone above the shoulders or as anything more than a fun game. Never in anger or while pretending to kill or maim or anything violent like that. If we catch that happening all guns are gone!

soccer711
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2018 at 7:02 AM
No, I never had that rule, but I despise Nerf guns and refused to buy them and I don’t like the idea of kids having toy guns so I never bought my daughter one of those either. My ex had me livid when he bought my daughter a Nerf gun for Easter or her birthday one year. Luckily, he kept it at his parents’ house which became his brother’s house after his mom died 4.5 years ago - December 28, 2017, when my ex-brother-in-law passed away. Now, it’s being held in trust by my ex’s nephew (ex-brother-in-law’s oldest son) until my ex-brother-in-law’s only grandson, his son’s nephew, is 18. Right now his grandson is 10.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)