Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Before cell phones

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2018 at 1:41 AM
  • 17 Replies
What is a pre cell phone memory you have where you could have really used a cell phone?

It could be from your younger years, or your adult years as long as it’s before you owned a cell phone.
by on Apr. 18, 2018 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moonskytiger
by on Apr. 18, 2018 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this
We went roller skating every Friday night and had to use the pay phone at a gas station across the street. A bunch of older kids called 911 from it one night and took off so we all got in trouble while waiting on our ride. A cell phone would have been great.
soccer711
by on Apr. 18, 2018 at 6:43 AM
2 moms liked this
When I had started junior high (middle school). It was a few weeks in and I was still getting used to being in a different part of the school and having to change classes. Well, my locker was upstairs and I was hurrying to get downstairs to catch the bus. They left without me. Luckily, I had a quarter on me to use the pay phone inside the school. It just so happened that my mom had the day off. If she hadn’t been, that would have been a 3 mile walk home since my dad was at work and my brother’s 6 years younger than I am so he couldn’t come get me and drive me home.
momto2boys3215
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2018 at 6:46 AM
1 mom liked this
When the brakes went out on my car going down a hill & I rammed it into the back of a huge dump truck.

DH wss out fishing with a friend. I walked 10 miles home.
ljmom24
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2018 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
When I was in jr high I went to the movies with a friend her younger sister and a girl who was like my cousin (my dads best friends kid) and was friends with my friends sister. There was no bus that went right to the movies so we had to walk. Coming home we thought if went a different way we could get to the mall and a shorter walk to a bus stop. Well we were wrong and got lost and walked around in circles until we made it back to theatre where we finally found a pay phone. We all got into so much trouble for not calling sooner. My mom was mad cause dads friend was freaking out but later when i showed her where we were and there were no pay phones. It was also a neighborhood that existed before the highway so when i explained where we thought we’d end up she got my logic too.
wakymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2018 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

We had just moved to Indiana, and my parents dropped my sister and me off at a small mall while they went to the real estate agent's office a block or so away. My sister had just gotten contacts, and they started really bothering her, but didn't have anything with her to make them feel better. We knew what building our parents were supposed to be in, but didn't see their car there when we walked over, so we just went back to the mall and my sister suffered through the discomfort until our parents came and picked us up. There was a pay phone available, but we didn't know the phone number of the agent. That afternoon would've been much more tolerable if both my parents and my sister and I had had a cell phone.

momof2555
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2018 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

getting lost driving somewhere could have really helped me. i would have to pull over and find a payphone which was scary as a teenager when i was lost.

2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2018 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I am actually glad that there weren't cell phones when I was growing up.(They did not become affordable and stuff until I was in my late 20's or early 30's) That meant as a teenager my mom couldn't get a hold of me or track me and I had an excuse as to why I did not call. There was no caller ID either so I could call from anywhere without her knowing. LOL.

I really can't think of a time that I would have NEEDED to have a cell phone. I am sure there is something jus nothing big enough to stand out in my memory.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Apr. 18, 2018 at 12:30 PM
Do you mean your mom couldn’t get a hold of you?
How could she get a hold of you without a cell phone?

Quoting 2-point-doe:

I am actually glad that there weren't cell phones when I was growing up.(They did not become affordable and stuff until I was in my late 20's or early 30's) That meant as a teenager my mom could get a hold of me or track me and I had an excuse as to why I did not call. There was no caller ID either so I could call from anywhere without her knowing. LOL.

I really can't think of a time that I would have NEEDED to have a cell phone. I am sure there is something jus nothing big enough to stand out in my memory.

2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2018 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL, yes I mean couldn't 

Quoting diaperstodating: Do you mean your mom couldn’t get a hold of you? How could she get a hold of you without a cell phone?
Quoting 2-point-doe:

I am actually glad that there weren't cell phones when I was growing up.(They did not become affordable and stuff until I was in my late 20's or early 30's) That meant as a teenager my mom could get a hold of me or track me and I had an excuse as to why I did not call. There was no caller ID either so I could call from anywhere without her knowing. LOL.

Linda_Runs
by Linda on Apr. 19, 2018 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

My DD13 once asked me how we met up with each other and things before cell phones.

I told her that it was simple.  You showed up where you were supposed to be and when you were supposed to be there.  

She then asked about kids and how we would let parents know if we were going to be late.  I told her that you got home or to wherever on time or you were in trouble.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)