Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Why does my 10 year old daughter still act like she's 4 years old

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 4:50 PM
  • 14 Replies
My 10 year old daughter (soon to be 11 years old) still act like she's 4 years old, still playing with barbie dolls, watching cartoons, playing with toys in the tub, constantly having to talk to her about the same things over and over again and just not being responsible.  Am I rushing her to grow up too fast, I'm scared because I think she is behind, she will soon be in Junior High and I think the older kids will take total advantage of her. What can I do to help or should I just let nature take its course.
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mary40025
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 5:25 PM
Count your blessings... they grow up so fast these days... It was refreshing to hear there is a kid out there that is still is a kid...My daughter is 10 going on 11 and she still "plays" during her quiet time with herself...My daughter has two sets of friends ( which causes its' own drama when they get together).. with one set of friends she plays dogs ( they all have dog names and take turns playing owner. the owner gets to tell the dogs what to do)...the other group of friends get together talk about other people at school and who is cool and who is not (not my favorite group)...she loves cartoon, and the cartoons these days seem to be so much more sophisticated, and plays with her Pokemon action figures in the tub... these are her last few years to be a kid...once she is 12 or roughly enters 7th grade, her whole life will change and transition into teenager-hood....Don't push it....my daughter is a only child, and without older siblings to mimic....she seems to still have the courage to play and be a kid without being mocked by them....She will be 18 soon enough,  enjoy these last few years!!!!
yisinit
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 7:49 PM
i agree let her be a kid as long as possible, going to school, there will be kids just like her that still act like kids...my just turned 13 yr old son acts much like you discribed your daugher...i asked the doctor during his 7th grd physical...she replied he is just a late bloomer...some kids are late puberty...in their actions as well as phyiscal change...enjoy it while you can, hopefully she will continue to be a child until she becomes an adult...i'm thankful...my son still thnks girls are annoying, he stills plays with gi joe figurines, he too plays with toys in the bath tub...he is a star soccer player, a black belt in taekwondo, honor student, and protects younger kids from school bullies, he says he will wait to date when he can afford to...he is his father's only child...who by the way got married to his only girlfriend(me), and became a father at age 34.the doctor said this late puberty bloomer is heredity...thankfully he got he's dad's gene on that subject...besides so many kids are rushed to grow up to help us relinquish responsibility on them, that they find themselves in adult situations before we can stop the hands of time, like criminal behavior, teen-age parenthood, drugs...i could go on...i work with my cps headquarters here in my state...i see it first hand... embrace your child's youth....
amanda43302
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 7:52 PM
why in the world would you be aggravated or upset about that! I too have a 10 yr old daughter who plays with barbies, bratz, watches cartoons etc. I want my kids to stay young for as long as possible! She also likes older type things and she just hasnt grown out of some stuff yet, and thats perfectly fine with me!
jwolfe1115
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 10:36 PM
I go through some of the same things with my 11 year old.  She is still such a little girl in some ways, but at the same time she can act like a teenager sometimes.  Enjoy the little girl for as long as you can, she won't be like this for much longer.  I will still play with my daughter one day with the Bratz and the next we will go shopping.  They will grow up and you will wish for the barbies and the bratz and all the other stuff soon enough.
bbabesitr
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 10:41 PM
If you find an answer please let me know. My 11 year old  acts the same. she is intellegent but acts so imature. I have talked to her and explained that it is fun to grow and do grown up things.She plays wit baby toys and plays in the bathtub instead of washing. i have started making her take showers but it is a slow process. I do not want her to grow up too fast but I do hope she is on track where she should be. i wish she could stay little but thats not normal.
momof2girls129
by on Jan. 23, 2008 at 10:43 PM

I think i know why, and this is very hard to explain..but i will do the best i can...i went through the same thing as a kid.

It is like your mind and body are at war with each other, i could actually feel it inside and i remember it like it was yesterday. You know you need to grow up but you feel like there is this force holding you back....so you act childish to stay young. Growing up is a very scary place to be in a young persons life. Shoot it isnt even like your thinking of bills or having to find a job...it is just scary and unknown and ya dont want to face it. I really hope this makes sense....my 12 yr old is going through the same thing and i have told her i know how she feels but it has to happen. It is a part of life and that it will do it with or without her and that is what i found out. All i can say is just be supportive and gently push her foward. Most ppl i have talked to about what i felt growing up said they never felt that way...so maybe i am just strange LOL i dont know. Hope this helps. As far as the Jr high thing..dont worry it will take care of itself. The main thing you will need to watch for is her not turning in her homework, my dd did this and her answer to why she was doing it is because she didnt want to grow up. She would do the work but not turn it in. So be on the look out next yr.

luv2bmommyto5
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 12:50 AM

I have an almost 11 year old son.  He still plays "beanie babies" with his younger siblings.  They absolutely love it!  He's awesome with little kids.  He sets up a whole "beanie world" for them and they play for hours.  I know he'll work with children some day.  I'm so thankful for this.
On the other hand, he plays baseball, reads cool books, loves hunting, fishing, camping out, etc. 

Kids need to know that they have their parent's support in their choices.  I think so often, we expect our children to grow up and so they do....way too fast and in a way that we really don't want!

Let her know that it's okay to play with barbies or whatever.  She's not going to do it forever.  I'm sure it's just preparing her to be a great mom!

burr28
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 11:31 AM
I wouldn't worry to much about my son will be 13 this year and he still plays pokemon and has a stuffed pikachu he absolutly loves. He does some of the big kid stuff like desinging simple comp games lol. And he is still a cartoon fanatic. That may be my fault i still like to watch them lol
msmomof2n2
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 11:40 AM
WOW!!!  I DON'T THINK SHE WAS UPSET JUST CONCERNED.
jmsmith76
by on Jan. 24, 2008 at 11:44 AM
It's likely that at school, she is having to act older than her age to fit in, so its probably comforting for her to come home and just have some innocent fun.  There is so much pressure at this age to conform!  I would be proud that she's willing to maintain who she is, instead of adopting the status quo... The calls from boys and the girl drama will arrive soon enough!

You can never have too much chocolate!
Happy Valentine's Day! from Jacky

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)