Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age did your child start getting lippy with you?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 1:28 PM
  • 19 Replies
My son who is 9 is just starting to think that he knows all about the world.  He gets lippy to me (not his dad because he knows better). 

How do you all control this? 

Just the other day he said something to me and I was like...one more and you will lose privileges.  That made it stop, but I almost feel like he thinks that I am not as smart as dad.  

It is hard because dad can be really (tough love) to him and I always feel like being the nice guy.  Maybe I need to work on that...any suggestions before this gets out of hand?

by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
btlsmum
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 3:28 PM
We are starting to get this to some extent with our Owen. He'll be 10 next weekend.

For him, it's attempts at arguing/negotiating when we've given our final word. He'll be a great lawyer someday. LOL    

Some days lately, it feels like I'm on his back constantly. I try to be a reasonable parent but he is pushing things, kwim? He is trying to be more mature than he actually is, trying to grow up too fast (at least for my taste).
sahlady
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 3:28 PM

My 12 yr old daughter has started this recently (this school year).  She got really bad back in Nov. and the beginning of Dec.....then she got her first period.  She was back to normal for a while.  Thank God.  She is starting up again.  I am sitting down with the kids tonight (go over the new months chores, and things) I will be having a talk with her about it.  I find the best way is to simply say here is what is taken away first time, second, and if there is a third you have no rights for X amount of time.  End of story, no discussion.

My 10 yr old son has a very very quick wit.  And pops of some very very funny remarks.....but he doesnt have a filter as to who should hear them.  He takes a bit of reminding.  It is harder when it is cerebral come backs, as apposed to rolling the eyes or tone.

Talaree
by on Jul. 17, 2007 at 9:09 PM
Does at birth count..lol My daughter has always been lippy even as a baby she always had something to say  even if we didn't understand what she was saying.Now she is 10 and its only getting worse .
wendy1466
by on Jul. 17, 2007 at 10:58 PM
Our 12 year old started at 9. He would argue just to get in the last word even if he knew he is wrong! I stopped engaging in the arguments and now I just say to him, "I only argue at 10:00." This sounds crazy, but it works! By 10:00, he has forgotten because what he was doing is trying to push buttons! I almost he wish he would take me up on arguing because I am soooo ready lol I have been finding in the last three years that I really need to pick my battles an not engage on every little thing as it drives me CRAZY! good luck in your tweener years
my2boyz2002
by on Jul. 17, 2007 at 11:13 PM
My son started at around the age of 8-9.  But it started little by little.  He's almost 12 now and he still thinks he can talk to me that way but I tell him that he's not allowed to talk to me that way.  I tell him I will take away his game and that REALLY hurts him.  I have done it and it does help.  But I don't take it away for a day, I take it away for a week!!  It has to 'hurt' in order for him to think about doing it again. 

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 

MamaMandee
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 3:43 PM
With in the past year my daughter who is will 9 in Sept. has gotten really bad. She would tell you the sky is green if you told her it was blue. She thinks & acts like she is a princess. My hubby & her have always butted heads but these days it has gotten so much worse. He says anything to her & she flips out, crying, screaming & running to her bedroom slamming the door. And the worse part is her 3 & 1/2 year old brother is becoming a sassy drama queen too! LOL I don't really have any advice but look forward to see what others have to say. I too have to "play the good cop" and I think she takes it as she can walk all over me.

Are you addicted to Big Brother?
http://www.cafemom.com/group/BigBrotherGroupies

Brehi
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 4:51 PM
my DD is 9.5 and she got her "smart" mouth about 3 months ago. My kids do chores and get an allowance. Everytime she has trouble controling her sweet lil mouth I charge her 25 cents. It adds up at the end of the week. She hates having to pay up so she's gotten better.
premiergymmom
by on Jul. 18, 2007 at 5:47 PM

I am with u all.  My DD since birth.  The sons started around 8-9.  Mine know that when I saw "watch the sass" that they have pushed me far enough. 

Before this started really working, i would say watch the sass and the kid(s) would continue to push. I took the batteries out of all the remotes. (kids can't figure out how to work a tv w/o), the mouse and game paddles with me to work.  The kids would call and say where is ______? I told them when I was treated with respect I would bring them back, which I did at a rate of 1 item a day after a week.

Don't get mad and yell this is what they're looking for. Give warnings no more than 3 then GET EVEN.

Remember you are Mom.

anoelker
by on Jul. 19, 2007 at 11:59 PM
My 11B started this year.  I think he realizes that he is "standing his ground and wants to be heard".  I can give him credit for doing it because I"ve always told them to stick up for themselves, but he doesn't quite understand what that means.

Perfect example... the other day we were in the mall at a card shop that also had action figures.. guy stuff.  He and his 10brother found some Pokemon cards that were 50 cents each. 

Mom- "We can't afford anything extra this week. Plus I am not going to spend 50cents on one card.  You can get more in a pack for just over a dollar at WM."
11 yr old son - "You never buy us anything anymore."
Mom - "We just spend almost $300 at store on groceries and other household itmes that we needed".
11 yr old son - "We don't need that stuff"
Mom - "Fine you don't need to eat my food."
11 yr old son - "I won't, I will eat what's in the cabinet."
Mom - "No you won't I bought that too."
11 yr old son - "Fine I won't eat anymore".

I just stood there in amazement and disbelief.  I actually walked out of the store in anger and hurt.  I actually didn't think he was that mean to tell me that I never buy anything worth anything.   That was the very first time I was really honestly hurt by what he said to me.

Just had to share that!  Sorry so long.
Ann
Sim_mom2001
by on Jul. 20, 2007 at 5:24 AM
wow! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one going through this!!! 2 weeks ago my ds (10) got so lippy with his dad he took a swing at him!! that lasted all of 10 seconds as he got a firm reminder that you don't swing on your dad.  lets just say that he will definately think twice when he tries to take on his dad.  I thought that the whole lippy thing was just a thing he got from his friends trying to be like tose big city rappers/ gangster thug wannabes. He's always had a little attitude, but that comes with being the only one for so long. that and being spoiled.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)