Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

HELP MY SON IS OUT OF CONTROL

Posted by on May. 22, 2007 at 2:27 PM
  • 5 Replies
I NEED ADVICE.FOR THE PAST COUPLE OF DAYS MY 11 YR OLD SON HAS NOT BEEN HISSELF. WHEN HE IS CORRECTED OR ASKED TO DO SOMETHING HE FREAKS OUT. SATUIRDAY HE WAS PUNCHING HIS FATHER LIKE HE WAS SOME KID ON THE PLAYGROUND. LAST NIGHT WE WERE AT THE PARK AND MY SON DIDN'T GET HIS WAY. WHEN MY HUSBAND BENT DOWN TO GET THE BASKETBALL MY SON KICKED HIM IN THE BUTT. I HAVE TRIED TALKING TO HIM BUT ALL I GET IS THE SHOULDER SHRUG. HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN A SWEET BOY SO I AM NOT SURE WHAT TO DO. I HAVE TRIED TAKING AWAY PRIVLEGES AND I GET "SO I DON'T CARE" I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET HIM TO OPEN UP. ANY IDEAS
by on May. 22, 2007 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Chleow
by on May. 22, 2007 at 2:38 PM
What we had to start doing to our daughter is making her pray. Telling her everything she needs to pray for and it has worked. You need to ask his teacher who he is playing with also.
sahlady
by on May. 22, 2007 at 3:12 PM
If he just turned into an out of control boy over night....I would be concerned that something happened.  Has he been bullied at school, embarrassed, possibly worse?  Where has he been and what has he done in the past couple days??  I find it odd that a "sweet boy" would suddenly get violent.  I think his dad needs to sit down with him and get to the bottom of this.
plop9723
by on May. 23, 2007 at 7:58 AM

A bunch of us Mom were talking at the ball game the other night about how our sons had become smart talking and very very angery in a short amount of time.  I have an older daugher and I remember the smart talking but I do not remember the anger and the hitting.   I would for sure have Dad talk to him.  I have found that I can talk to my Son until I am blue in the face but DH can talk to him and things get better for a while.   I think kids now days have to much stuff and they do not care if you take it away from them.   I know my Son does not care anymore if we take his game stuff away it is no big deal.   I was talking to a woman the other day and she was having all kinds of problems with her son and the son call the police on her.  When the police came they ask both of them what the problem was and they both told their side and then the police to the woman.  Okay her is what you do, take everything out his room except for a mattress, give him 3 outfits to wear.  He is to stay in his room for 1 week.   He comes out only to go to the bathroom and 1 hour of outside play supervised by an adult.  He does not eat meals with the family, he does not have a stero, TV, game system, he can have a book to read and when he goes to the bathroom or takes a shower the door has to remain open.  He will then change his whole way of thinking.  
They told the son see all your parents are required to do is give you a place to sleep and food.  So if you want to leave right now, they will allow you one suit of clothes only because they do not want you out in the streets naked, nothing else can be taken with you.  Everything that they bought you must take here it is property of the house.  
After the week was up the Son was a better person and they did not have any problems from him at all.  

LRH41496
by on May. 23, 2007 at 8:56 AM
I would for sure call his teacher and find out if she is aware of anything  that may have happen at school. I would also have dad take him off for some one on one time with just dad and let them talk kind of man to man. Maybe he will open up to dad and tell him what is going on. I know this whole growing up thing at this age is very hard for both boys and girls.  My daughter is having some anger issues and some emotional issues. We have talked with her and some of it is her body is changing and she doesn't like the changes and some of it is that a kid said something mean to her and she was upset and angery about it. Things have some what gone back to normal but we still have our outburst of tears now and then or the lovely attitude.

CynthiaJ
by on May. 23, 2007 at 9:34 AM
Well, it could be hormones rearing their ugly heads.  Setting limits helped for us -- bad behavior is bad behavior.  When my son was in 4th grade he was having some social difficulties that he wasn't telling us about.  We found out when the school counselor called.  We were shocked because he's always been well-liked and a pretty happy kid.  When we confronted him about it, he denied there was any  problem until we told him that the counselor had called.  He just cried and said "I'm so lonely".  It broke my heart, I can tell you.  We set him up for regular sessions with the school counselor which really helped as he felt he had someone at school on his side.  Some of the same problems started up in middled school and we took it straight to the head of school.  He dealt with it immediately and directly and Teddy ended up feeling like he had a very powerful ally.  Since then he's really relaxed socially and is having a good time at school and being very decent here at home.  Of course, things could change tomorrow, tweens being tweens!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)