Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Sleepover Summer Camp .... Nervous Mom

Posted by on May. 23, 2007 at 8:09 AM
  • 12 Replies
My 11 year old son is going away to his first summer sleep over camp ... for a week.
I have so much on my mind with this...he's never gone away before!!
What should he take with him? Do they get to call home?
He is excited, I am nervous and maybe even a little depressed!!
by on May. 23, 2007 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LRH41496
by on May. 23, 2007 at 9:07 AM
I can understand why you are nervous, that is a big step for you and for him and a week is a long time.
I would say the he should take some spending money with him. Most camps have snack bars and stuff. 

GOOD LUCK this summer.. I hope he has a blast.  I wish I could find a summer camp here for my daughter to go to. She wants to go to one so badly..
sammy3
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Mine did this last year with our church. My kids are 8,9 and 11. I was worried and did not want to let them go but it was good for them. I sent toiletries, sleeping bag and some spending cash for them. They enjoyed it and will do it again this year. I think it was good for them because it made them realize all I did for them.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
The camp should send you a list. Don't forget sun block and extra socks..they get eaten somewhere! Use a fabric marker to initial everything, even each sock if you expect it back!

I like a sheet over my bunk, plastic camp pads are nasty, so send a fitted sheet to put under the sleeping bag. TEACH HIM how to roll or stuff his own sleeping bag!

DO NOT pack his bag for him! He needs to know how to repack it so it fits to come home and HE needs to be able to find his stuff. I give my kids the packing list and tell them to lay everything out next to their bag/ suitcase. I check and verify it is all there..toiletries, sunblock, ChapStick, clothes, swim stuff, etc. Then THEY pack it.

All my kids started going to sleep away, week-long summer camp at age 7. By age 11, I'm thinking cut the apron strings! You (presumably) have done a good job raising him so trust him to go have fun.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:00 PM
PS... calling home depends on the camp. Honestly, having been a camp director, the WORST thing for a homesick kid is letting them call mommy. Then mommy gets upset and sad and it snowballs. The best thing is to keep them busy and having fun so they fall into the rack exhausted!

Do NOT send any type of electronics, no iPods, no expensive jewelry. Some camps want them to have a watch (if Boy scout camp they need a watch) but get a cheaply $10-15 one

Both church camp and scout camp my kids needed a notebook and pens. You may want to send a pretty addressed stamped envelope and paper but Tony be upset if they forget to write :) That means they are having too much fin not that they don't care.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM
My son takes the following to camp:
Clothing: including at least one long sleeved shirt and one pair of pants, as well as shorts and short sleeves shirts, swim trunks, two pair of socks for each day, two pair of shoes, flip flops for the shower, underwear and shorts to sleep in.
10$ prepaid phone card
spending money
hydrocortisone cream
sunglasses
set of sheets
blanket
pillow
cheap digital camera or disposable camera
toiletries in a mesh bag for easy carrying to and from the shower
two towels
garbage bags for dirty laundry
that's all I can think of at the moment! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:09 PM

The camp should send a list of what to bring.

OvrMyHead
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I sent my then 8yo DD and 11yo DS to sleep away last summer--my DD went for 4 weeks and my DS for 2 weeks.  DD loved it and is going back this summer while DS did not like being away from home and won't be going to sleep away this summer.

The camp told me what to pack but I second the poster who said not to bring anything that may get lost or stolen, like electronics or a favorite shirt.  Send clothes that you won't be sad if they don't come home.  A rainjacket and warm pjs and a warm jacket may be needed.  I also sent a lot of books with my DS, playing cards, my DD took some craft supplies just to have in her bunk.

Morrigan333
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 6:48 AM

I got the same thing going on here in Md. DD is 12 and going to a place called North Bay Adventure.  It's 2 hours away from us, my girl has some special "issues" and th school adm hasn't told me what group dd will be in yet and who'sthe chaperne. The trip s Mondy. Oh, did I mention my dd gets bulliedand intimidated alot? Yeah, I'm nervos right there with ya!

catngabsmom
by Erica on Apr. 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM

my oldest is doing two camps this year, a 3 day camp with her class, she is nervous about that one though. it is here in town, literally 10 minutes away, but she has had bully issues at school. the other camp is a 2 week camp four hours away for orchestra, it is a world renowned music camp and people like Jewel and Rufus Wainright have gone there, Bruce Willis and Demi Moore have sent their kids there also, she is 1 of 2500 kids going and over 10,000 applied!!!

my youngest will go to soccer camp at a local university, but it is a month long day camp, so no over nights, next year she will go to overnights.

shashta102
by Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I tottaly know how you feel! I have an eleven yr old too, but she was eight when she first left for a week long summer camp. I was scared and worried for her. Luckily, it was only an all girls camp and they let you email/write a letter to your kid and say hi. I felt much better when I met the Camp Director and when she came back happy! Now she loves going and just finished her third year,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)