Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where did my little girl go???

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 10:57 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hi, I am very new to this site, but am hoping to gain some encouragement/advice from other moms. I posted this in the normal journal section, but thought I might get better response by posting it here as well.

I have one child who is 11 years old going on 16.  Somewhere over the past several months we have gone from mommy's little gir to I'm a teenager who knows everything.  Has anyone else encountered this dramatic change and how do you deal with it???   She's a great kid, never any trouble, but the dramatic change in her attitude is evident to us all.

by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 6:34 PM
That's pretty much why I started this group. We've been dealing with similar troubles with our oldest who is 10. I think it's just a part of life, a kind of boundary testing thing. But I wanted to be able to commiserate and learn with other Moms. :)
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 9:05 AM
I agree, that's why I joined.  We went to see "flushed Away" as a family and my DD just wanted to see "Music and Lyrics"!  I don't know when it happened.  I just pray she and I are close enough that our communication stays open.
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 11:39 PM

Hi, I'm new to this site as well.

I have an 11 yo daughter, and yes,  she can be very obstinate at times.

Our teenage son is a lot more easy going, always has been.

Yet, at the same time, she is very much a young girl and that's fine with me!

At this age there are kids going out with one another and my daughter is not there yet, thank goodness.

Okay, that's another thread in itself. Smile

by on Sep. 21, 2007 at 8:35 PM
Maybe she is out with mine!!
by on Sep. 21, 2007 at 9:41 PM
I gave in. At 7yrs. I noticed a different Carmen. My daughter is like me at that age except she and I has always been young going on 40yrs. Sometimes I have to remind her to have fun and I try too with her. lol. I've been more of a best friend to her.
    My mom never bonded with me let alone my father. I don't blame them for that.
Anyway, I just go with the flow. lol. She can talk to me about anything and not be treated like a kid.
    I think when you suspend them and continue to treat them as babies this action pulls them away and then you can't protect them because they woun't let you.
    She is constantly testing me i.e "When can I get a tat?" "Job?" "A bf?" I tell her when the law allows you you can make that decision (by then she might forget). The boyfriend thing is different. I told her when the time is right you'll know but It's best to focus on college, career, and what makes you happy. Then you'll probably be ready for the responsibility of a relationship.
    I love my babygirl and I'll one day have to cope with the woman she will become, before my very eyes. You can't suspend time or waste it by worrying about your kids. If you teach them enough when they are young you will be satisfied with the results.

by on Sep. 21, 2007 at 11:36 PM
This is the same reason I joined this group.  My daughter is 12 and just started 7th grade.  Over the summer - I somehow misplaced my kind, easygoing, and obedient child and instead received a smart mouthed, beligerent and obnoxious girl to take her place.  It drives me crazy.  One thing I have tried to do (this is easier said than done), is to not show that she is getting to me. 

For example - she comes home after school and is on her own until I get home from work.  The rule is homework is done first and then she can get on the computer.  She was ignoring homework and just spending the entire time on the, I told her that if she couldn't follow the rules, she would have to not come home anymore and she would have to go to the Boys and Girls club - which she detests!!  I told her she had a choice to make and it was up to her to decide how miserable she wanted to be.  Her reply?  "No mom, my decision is how miserable I want to make your life" - I could have strangled her!!!! But instead, I stayed calm explained the rules and left it up to her, however, I have password protected the computer, so she can't get on until she calls me and gets "the word of the day".  So far this has worked, so I hope that if I remain to stay calm and not jump into the power struggles, I will be able to not only tolerate her, but help her through the puberty hormonal changes she is going through.  It hasn't been that long - I still remember what it was like - so I hope to be able to get through this in one piece and minimal grey hairs - lol!!  It will be just in time for my youngest to go through it herself.  Boy the next 10 years should be a blast!!!