Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for YA romance/mystery Author suggestions..

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 11:46 PM
  • 8 Replies
Hello  
My name is Debbie and Im new to cafemom.  I have a soon to be 12y/o daughter who has recently started "reading stories" online at Quizilla (i think) and now has a desire to read stories of a more "romantic" nature...     basically main charaters boy & girl, around her age etc... 
Does anyone have any suggestions for Authors of this genre?  Ive been trying to remember what I read at this age...  but this old brain cant go back that far! lol   I was suggesting the Sweet Valley High series  but dont know if thats too old...  or if theres something newer...  I suppose I could go to the library and ask...   but thought asking parents of children in the same age group may be helpful as well... 
thanks so much!
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
btlsmum
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 8:53 AM
Hopefully, some of the Moms with girls will be able to help you. My son is all fantasy and mystery type stuff. :)
NYWAHMomof3
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 9:11 AM

Quoting btlsmum:

Hopefully, some of the Moms with girls will be able to help you. My son is all fantasy and mystery type stuff. :)

Hello btlsmum!   Thanks  I hope so as well...       Im just glad she's enjoying reading and want to help keep that going.   How old is your son?    I have an 8 y/o son Id love to see become more involved in reading..  or even something other than just videogames all the time!   lol    Thanks for responding!
btlsmum
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 1:00 PM
My oldest is 10. He's always been one to read for enjoyment.
My second oldest is going to be 8 in April. He is a really good reader, but does not enjoy it at all.
kater
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 9:33 PM
Lucy Maud Montgomery was my heroine when i was 11.  my fave aunt bought me the 1st three books in the series and i was hooked.  heard of anne of green gables?  it's much better than the cartoon on PBS.  oh, and she'll need a dictionary when reading them.  i love a book that requires a dictionary!  i loved learning new big words! 

DD is into the pendragon series and the inkspell series...those lean toward fantasy, sci-fi, not romance.  and there's always harry potter.  DD & i actually stand there waiting for the other to finish the books sometimes b/c we both love JK Rowlings writing style; you just can't pu it down!
call or email your child's reading or english teacher.  they're sure to have a preferred reading list for you.
NYWAHMomof3
by on Mar. 8, 2007 at 7:52 PM

Quoting kater:

Lucy Maud Montgomery was my heroine when i was 11.  my fave aunt bought me the 1st three books in the series and i was hooked.  heard of anne of green gables?  it's much better than the cartoon on PBS.  oh, and she'll need a dictionary when reading them.  i love a book that requires a dictionary!  i loved learning new big words! 

DD is into the pendragon series and the inkspell series...those lean toward fantasy, sci-fi, not romance.  and there's always harry potter.  DD & i actually stand there waiting for the other to finish the books sometimes b/c we both love JK Rowlings writing style; you just can't pu it down!
call or email your child's reading or english teacher.  they're sure to have a preferred reading list for you.
Hi kater  
thanks 4 the input!    she loves the potter books 2..   actually shes reading online stories loosely based on them  or written by others using similar charaters & places etc,,   im guessing anyway...  really should do some of the reading myself 2 see what she's reading....  lol    
thats a great idea about checking w/ english teacher...  dont know why i didnt think of that!   lol    thanks 4 sharing!    debbie NY
megdev
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 10:08 PM

Quoting NYWAHMomof3:

Quoting kater:

Hi kater  
thanks 4 the input!    she loves the potter books 2..   actually shes reading online stories loosely based on them  or written by others using similar charaters & places etc,,   im guessing anyway...  really should do some of the reading myself 2 see what she's reading....  lol    
thats a great idea about checking w/ english teacher...  dont know why i didnt think of that!   lol    thanks 4 sharing!    debbie NY

Hi, I am new here. I have a son who is 14 and a daughter, 9.  My daughter is not into the tougher books yet but when my neice was 10 or 11 I know she liked Meg Cabot. She wrote the Princess Diary series and several others. I also know I have seen several books that I think my daughter will like in a couple years at the library so I would just go look around. It is great that she enjoys reading. Keep encouraging that.
NYWAHMomof3
by on Apr. 3, 2007 at 11:28 PM
HI Meg  thanks for your response   I'll have to take a look!     I appreciate your help!  
debbie
Egann
by on Apr. 11, 2007 at 2:58 PM
The Sweet Valley High is a good suggestion, has your child read all of the Harry Potter series? My dauh\ghter likes the Saddle Club series as well, there is also the Lemondity Snicket (sorry for spelling wrong) series or the Lion, Witch, and the Wordobe series, these are all good books for this age group.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)