Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

how old does your child have to be to be left in house by themselves?

Posted by   + Show Post
My youngest daughter has to have surgery involving her tonsils, she will have to stay in the hospital for 3 days. During these days I have to be there with her, and my husband goes to school at 8am and get out at 12pm. I trying to figure out is he old enough or do I have to hire a babysitter for at least 4 hours. She has to have surgery next week. Any Advice!!!!
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 4:02 PM
Replies (11-14):
masastan
by on Jul. 3, 2007 at 8:39 PM
My neigbor's dd just had her tonsils taken out over the holidays so she wouldn't miss school, but she didn't have to stay in the hospital.  Two years before that, one of her nieces had them taken out and she also had no overnight stay in a hospital.  It's done as outpatient surgery now.  Are you sure your Dr is giving your dd the best care/advice or correct information?  As for staying at home alone, this is information I have found difficult to find.  I can't find it on the web anywhere.  A flyer was sent home from my kids school last year and it said for the State of Georgia, kids under 10 can not be left at home alone.  Kids under 12 can be left unsupervised for up to 2 hrs only.  Kids that are age12 can be left at home for 4 hrs and can babysit for up to the 4hrs, unsupervised.  Any decisions made by the parents should be based on need and responsibility/maturity of the child/ren.  My 10yr old is allowed to stay at home while I run errands or go grocery shopping unless I am going to be gone for more than two hrs.  My 8yr old, I would trust completely to stay at home now, but she just can't yet.  Good Luck and I would check with your doctor about the posibility of the outpatient option.          
kater
by on Jul. 3, 2007 at 9:02 PM
if it's a matter of your older son technically "babysitting" your younger one....you will have to check with your local area, be it police or child welfare services.  if you don't, and a nosey neighbor calls the police because your "rebellious" younger son is unsupervising himself, you'd be in a heap of trouble.  i know in many states you have to complete a course and be at least 12 to babysit. 

jmo
Funshinemamma
by on Jul. 4, 2007 at 3:49 AM
Hi...My daughter is 11.5.  We live in Canada, and she was able to take a babysitting course when she turned 11.  She has been "watching" her brother (who will be 9 on Friday) each morning...I work midnights and my hubby works days, so there is an hour where they are "alone", but they are usually still asleep when I get home, plus I only work around the corner from our house. 

Today, though (while I was upstairs "sleeping") she babysat our neighbours boys for a few hours (I woke up though to make everyone lunch...our rules are NO cooking, NO answering the phone unless the call display shows its someone we know, and ABSOLUTELY DO NOT answer the door).  If she didn't have her St. John's ambulance course, she wouldn't babysit.
m155yv1x3n
by on Jul. 4, 2007 at 11:59 AM
I have six girls all ranging in age and maturity. My oldest is 10 and is very responsible and I allow her to stay home alone for short periods of time, no more then 2-3 hours. Normally its when I am running errands or an appointment for one of the other lil ones. I started babysitting at age 11 for three boys, including an infant at 2 months. I just use my best judgement.
:o)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN