Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heely's

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:06 PM
  • 17 Replies

Poll

Question: Heelys, do your kids have them, and if they do, do you let them skate everywhere on them?

Options:

Kids don't have them.

Won't let my kids have them.

Yes they have them, and sure they skate in the store, what is the big deal?

Yes they have them, but they know they can't skate in a store, school, etc.

Other, Please explain.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 48

View Results

I really wanted to see where everyone stood on these.

I have seen so many kids almost run people over or run into people in stores. One time, a kid skated down the aisle at walmart & ran into an elderly lady, mom just looked & went back to what she was doing.  I have also seen stores now putting up signs that they aren't allowed the store. I agree they shouldn't be skated on in store.  I also won't buy them for my son. But I wanted to see where everyone else was with these?
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bettyboopfla63
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:13 PM
My daughter has Heely's and although I do allow her to skate in the stores, she must stay beside the care by my side and is not allowed to sail aimlessly down the aisles with no consideration of others. 

mommybug77
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:15 PM
My girls don't have them. They are banned in schools & stores here. So if they want to skate they can roller blade.

MichelleMc
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:19 PM
That is good your daughter stays with you.

I think the ban is going to get more & more here. And really I understand it because there are too many parents that don't care. Our walmart electronics is the dumping station for kids while parents grocery shop, they skate to there, they skate while there, and it is very frustrating to me, as I am trying to shop. Even my son, 12, shakes his head at them and says Mom why do they do that! LOL
Osuzanne
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:20 PM
My daughter had to have them. So for her birthday in July i bought her a pair. Since then i think she wore them maybe 3 times. It's like the saying goes. You always want what you cant have, but once you have it you dont want it!! She would have had more fun with a cardboard box!!

MusikMama
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:21 PM
I never really thought much abotu it.  Both my stepkids have them and I let them skate wherever they want. 

But I think it needs to be clarified, they don't go flying around int the store, they skate at teh pace I'm walking. They have to stay behind me at the store, they drive me nuts in front of me.

As long as it's being done that way, I think it's fine.

~Kate~

http://www.cafemom.com/group/detox

http://www.cafemom.com/group/friendshipgarden

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have"

MichelleMc
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:21 PM
Too Funny on the cardboard box. My mom said one year she was buying my son reams of paper for his present. HE LOVED IT. He draws & goes thru paper like water, LOL
traci1972
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:36 PM
no mine doint i am a little nervous about them seen where they can be danagerous.
jacksmom225
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 3:12 PM
My daughter begs for these on a regular basis but I absolutely refuse to buy them.  I know first hand of 3 children who have their arms in casts (one of them a 6 year old girl who needed pins to fix her broken arm) due to accidents on heelly's.  No way!  I've heard of many other kids who have also had accidents with these shoes.  Anyone notice how the Heely commercials now have kids wearing protective equipment (ie. helmets, arm and knee pads)???

Rachel

Don't worry about what others think

because those who mind don't matter

and those who matter don't mind

2lilbearsmom
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 4:12 PM

my son has them, LOVES them got them from Nana for Christmas last year and has about worn them out.  he's very resposible with them but he's a very resposnsible kid.  he knows I will kick his bum if he turns out in them or hurts anyone in them.

DaddysinIraq
by on Sep. 23, 2007 at 10:38 AM
I bought Heelys for my son when they first came out. They are so dangerous. He has not had an accident, except for little scrapes. But I on the other hand. Ok, maybe I was trying to be young again, after all, I was a speed skater in my younger days, so how hard could it be? Well, I put his Heelys on and as soon as I moved a foot forward, I fell on my butt and knocked the crap out of my head on the hardwood floor. I started feeling sick, so we had to call EMS. I just had a concusion, but to make things worse, I had a car accident several months later and the paramedic that responed to my accident asked me if I was the one who fell on her sons shoes!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)