Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

too young to shave?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 3:26 PM
  • 17 Replies
My daughter is 8 (going to be 9 soon) but is of Serian descent and therefore prone to be a bit hairier than other girls.  This past year she would come home from school upset because she was being teased by classmates (especially the dreaded boys! ;) about her hairy legs or the hair above her lip.  I talked to other moms and we pretty much rule out shaving at this age.  My question to you ladies is:  how do you feel about Nair?  or when is shaving an option for girls?  The tween years seem hard enough without adding emarassing hair issues.  Anyone else with this problem?

Rachel

Don't worry about what others think

because those who mind don't matter

and those who matter don't mind

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myangels310
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 3:33 PM
Wow,that suck's poor thing kid's can be so mean.My friend's daughter had the same problem being teased cause of she had hairer leg's then they called her all sort's of mean name's.So her and I went to Walmart and got this stuff called veet,( I think it is spelled right ).That worked wounder's.I wouldn't do shaving yet like you said but veet is not so harsh,it is gentle for the skin.

Hope this help's
kkbrink
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 4:10 PM
That does suck!  I am quite hairy and DH calls me "sasquatch"because of it.  I remeber not shaving until middle school, but see nothing wrong with the chemicals!  She has to remember that once she starts, she has to keep doing it, and that sucks even worse!  I have to shave at least every other day now and should do it every day, but I am just too lazy!
jen995
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 4:38 PM
I let both of my daughters shave when they came and asked me, one is 10 and one is 9.  I just feel like there are bigger battles to come, I can say yes to the little things now.
Joann33
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 5:07 PM

I also let my girls shave at 10. I know a lot of girls are using veet. Nair might burn so I would suggest something else.  Kids are so cruel. I hope this helps.

Joann

cutemommie
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 5:31 PM
My daughter just turned 12 and has been using Veet for about a year and half and loves it. I think its a good place to start for your child.

prdusmcmom
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 6:09 PM
I agree with "there are bigger battles to come".  I also agree with the veet.  GREAT STUFF and pretty easy to use even for someone at such a delicate age.  If you feel she is ready then yeah, one less thing for her to battle at school and yes......KIDS ARE SOOOO CRUEL!!!!  I'm sure she is just beautiful with her blood line.  Good Luck.  I have boys and can't fully understand the magnatude of this situation but I remember being a little girl and how hard it was at that age.....even if it was when the dinosaurs walked the earth.  lol
Quoting jen995:

I let both of my daughters shave when they came and asked me, one is 10 and one is 9. I just feel like there are bigger battles to come, I can say yes to the little things now.

momothree5
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 6:14 PM
Kids can be so mean.  Shaving and Nair are essentially the same thing - I really see no difference and see no problem in it.  Sigh.  My daughter was in 5th grade - most of her friends shaved at this age, too.  I am glad she is interested in hygine!
selenad
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:01 PM
give her veet rasera so she can get used to shaving, my daughters interested but I said no because her leg hair is blonde so far,but when it starts lokking beasty, Ill take her out of her misery
dragondreamer
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 4:43 AM
I agree with the woman who said "there are bigger battles to come" so I try to say yes to the small stuff. I don't allow her a razor., but I had bought myself a wet/dry cordless electric razor and didn't care for it. Not a close enough shave for me, but it does wonders for her. She has fine blond hair and is a little tan, so the hair glows on her legs & really stands out. Letting her us eth ecordless gets rid of being able to see it and doesn't hurt her skin. I have also noticed that since I said yes she's probably shaved 3 imes? I think it was wantingt osee what I'd say as much as anything else.

Sincerely, Anne M. Freitas

Wife of George, Mom of Halie & Kaelyn, with one beautiful angel in Heaven, and secretly hoping for a surprise pregnancy

trouble7285
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 6:26 AM
I also see no difference between nair/veet and shaving. If anything I would think that chemicals might be worse than a razor. If her hair is enough to be shaved then let it go. I used to cut myself shaving on a regular basis even in my ripe old age til I got an Intuition razor. I found its almost impossible to even nic myself somehow I love that thing. So maybe a brand like that will help. Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)