Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did your child ever encounter a bully at school or on the bus?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 10:42 PM
  • 8 Replies
My son once did, but he only picked on him the once.  He was picking on him on the bus and kept taking his hat off.  He was in 7th or 8th grade.  My oldest is shy, and the younger one usually sticks up for him!  

If it kept up I was going to ride the bus and see what this kid was like! 
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kater
by on Mar. 24, 2007 at 10:08 PM
oh, yeah, there's a whole family of them at our elementary school.  the mother raised all five of her daughters to be complete snobs and put people down.  she taught them to sidrespect the teachers and authority in general and sh walked the halls like she owned the place.  i am so glad those brats don't go to the same middle school as we do! 
mammaweeks3
by on Mar. 25, 2007 at 1:48 PM
My son has been having some problems with a kid at school to the point that my normally passive child roughed him up during a game of football, I think most of his aggression was from the bulling and not the game. I told him of course to not play that way and to walk away. This has continued most of the school year. He confided in me a few weeks ago that it is still going on, the name calling and he was sick of it. I told him that what the kid wants is attention and as long as he gave it to him he would continue. He needed to stand up for himself and let the kid know that what he said did not matter and walk away, but he had to mean it and if he did not then to not say it. He did what I said and the kid has left him alone. I hope that it continues to work. I was bullied a great deal at school so I had to tell my son of all of my stories inorder to gain his respect and for him to see that I did have a clue as to what was he was going through.

sharebearmomof2
by on Mar. 25, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Quoting kater:

oh, yeah, there's a whole family of them at our elementary school.  the mother raised all five of her daughters to be complete snobs and put people down.  she taught them to sidrespect the teachers and authority in general and sh walked the halls like she owned the place.  i am so glad those brats don't go to the same middle school as we do! 

Oh yeah, we have those too, and I agree, nine out of ten, the parents are the culprits. We have some (not many though, thank goodness) who think they're above the law and I'm sure convey this attitude of superiority  to their "snot-nosed kids"!
Lately, I've seen a lot of this snooty mentality with parents who have daughter's in the 6th grade as my daughter...I don't see it as much with my son's age group, however, I'm sure they're there.

As far as the cliques and snobbery, she has witnessed this of course, but as far as the blatant bullying goes, my daughter who has a quick wit about her has not been  harrassed in any way and I hope it continues this way, especially since she starts middle school next school year; here, middle school is considered  7th and 8th grade. She is so excited about starting  7th grade and making new friends.

Now my son (the 10th grader) was teased in middle school, and when he was in off season gym, a good ole boy slammed my son into the gym lockers and hurt my son's elbow.
The school officer gave us the option to press charges against this kid and we decided not to, but told the officer to tell this kid if he even dares bat an eye at our son it will be a different story next time.

My son is on the shy side and keeps to himself.  Middle school  kids seem to victimize kids who are like that.

Since then he's never been bothered!

Our district does an excellent job enforcing their no-bullying  policies.

Debbie
momof2girls531
by on Feb. 22, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I think there's a difference between phyical bullying and emotional bullying.  More often than not, physical bullying is easier to prove.  Emotional bullying becomes a case of "she said, she said"  (yes, happens most often with girls) and teachers or administrators tend to wash their hands of it.  Plus most parents are hesitant to believe that their child is capable of hurting someone else, especially parents of girls.  I know many moms in denial of how snarky and snobby their daughters are.  Qualities such as kindness and maturity are not valued in my daughter's 6th grade class.  I'm proud of her because she has stayed true to herself versus stooping to their level in order to fit in better.  When she was systematically bullied for an entire semester in 4th grade I kept telling her to take the high road which was a big mistake.  It got better once we used the teacher as an intermediary to address the parent and the child.  The ironic thing was that the counselor kept suggesting that my daughter come see her on a regular basis.  My position was that the girl who bullied is the one with the problem so she should go offer her services there.  Even the schools think if a child is bullied it means something is wrong with that child. 

Tamaralynn30
by on Feb. 22, 2011 at 7:29 PM
Unfortunately my son is a bully. His dad was very verbally and physically abusive. I'm out of the marriage and with my best friend who is an amazing man who is teaching him respect and caring for others.

He still sees his dad but things are much better between them now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jns131
by on Feb. 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Talk to the bus driver. Let them know what is going on and what has happened in the past. Make sure your child sits in the front of the bus. I have bus drivers keeping track of what goes on, on the bus and in school. Luckily for us the bully has managed to stay far away from ours or at least the teachers manage to know what is going on, all the time. Just stay on top of it and keep the teachers and counslers informed. Good luck.

luvmy3b0yz
by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 2:39 PM

last year this kid trip my son on the bus. he busted he mouth pretty good and had to get his tooth pulled. i am kept questioning my son if he really did trip or was it accident. ( my son is very clumsy) but i also have 2 other boys that ride the boys. my other son said he did look like he was tripped on the bus.  since i couldn't get answer i let it go, because my oldest the one who was hurt had known to lie

txmom29
by on Feb. 28, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Every year my oldest gets bullied! She is the type of kid that won't tell the teacher. She comes home and tells me so I have to go to the school to take care of it. I've told her time and time again to tell but she refuses. I think she is afraid of retaliation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)