Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do i do to keep the magic alive?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:14 AM
  • 8 Replies

This will be the first year that I dont have my lil ones on christmas...My ex has them on christmas day and i have christmas eve. That wasnt a big issue until i found out there is NO way i can get that day off...there is no one to switch with and i HAVE to work cuz times are tough and i cant call in because then i will lose my holiday pay.

so to my dd and ds prolly have a clue santa isnt real however i dont want to ruin that magic for them so how do i go about having santa come? I work from 5am to about 230p so obvoiusly we cant do it before work and i have to take them to their dads about 8-9pm that night so santa can come to his house...and selfish me i want to see them open and play with all their presents...would it be ok to have santa come the day before xmas eve..then i have xmas eve to enjoy their presents with them and how do i explain santa coming before confused and really upset..any advise would be appriciated =)

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:36 AM

My daughter has rotated holidays her whole life.  Santa comes to the house she'll wake up at on xmas morning.  No worries about santa forgetting or not knowing... cuz santa sees it all.

Not much advice there, but just what I've done over the last 9 yrs!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:38 AM

I'm an RN so I have worked my fair share of holidays including Christmas Day....when I do have to work we always celebrate on my day off just prior to Christmas ( I don't make them wait until after Christmas).  I told them from the time they were young that Santa comes early to families where mommy's and daddy's have to work ...for us we made them understand that people like nurses and police officers have an important job to do and Santa rewards their kids by coming early some years.  We always keep the same traditions - put out cookies, reindeer food etc.  If your kids don't believe in Santa I would just explain that you are going to celebrate a little earlier.

One year my kids were actually disappointed I was off Easter...they wanted to be special and get the goodies early!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:41 AM
Other than waking them up early, you can leave a note from Santa under the tree letting the kids know he left the gifts with you. then when you get home(or maybe if you can call home on your break) Tell the kids the funniest thing happened on your way to work. You saw this huge light in the sky and then santa landed right there on the road!! He told you he was running late and when he passed by your house the first time the kids were awake so he was going to stop by again but now it is almost 5 am and he has to get home before dawn. So he gave you their gifts. Just an idea..
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 6:42 AM

I would let them open the gifts from you and hold the Santa gifts till they come home! I have kids in their teens and I still refuse to admit the Santa issue. I buy "Santa" paper every year and print the tags on the computer so they can't argue the handwriting! I love Christmas, it's so full of magic and these kids grow up so fast, I am holding on as long as I can, "I DO BELEIVE!" Good luck and have a very merry Christmas.

by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 10:57 AM

hey santa knows lots he knows if you are good or bad  so tell them santa came to your house early because he knew they wouldnt be there on christmas.

by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 7:10 AM

Sorry you are upset but what if you told the kids you called santa and explained to him that you had to work and YOUR christmas wish was to see them open their gifts so you asked santa if he could come early  being Christmas eve  morning or you could open gifts right at 12midnight and then makea big noise so they wake up and they come screaming in that sata came...these are the only two ideas I can think of..Good luck to you. Your a good mom wanting to be a part of their day. Merry Christmas I used to open our gifts at midnight cause my dad had to work Christma morning so we would open everything right at mid night....but maybe saying he came a day early cause that was your MOM christmas wish would work too....Good luck

by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Santa visits my house as well as my ex's house. The gifts are there when they come home (or go to the other house). I am like a kid myself and I had a VERY hard time knowing they would not be here 1st thing Christmas morning. It was hardest on me, the kids adapted very well (or at least they seem ok w/ it). They make sure I leave them the obligatory Santa snack and I leave the empty plate (and take before and after pix to scrap) for them to see.

Good luck- and they will be fine! (mine were 5 and 6 mo the year their dad left).

by on Dec. 20, 2008 at 10:28 AM

I do home health care so have worked lots of Christmases. When that happens I put in a special call to Santa and he comes early to our house sometimes. The kids so want Santas number too! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)