Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This child is driving me crazy!! Sorry vent :(

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM
  • 4 Replies

I'm more rambling than hoping for responses, but my 9 year old daughter is driving me up the f#$%ing wall! I just want to scream!! She is being such a spoiled brat lately. Totally ungratefully, not listening to a word I say, plead, ask for, lecture...nothing! And I've tried everything. She had no fear of Santa or having Christmas gifts taken away. The spirit of the season meant nothing...She doesn't care about anything: none of her posessions are sacred to her, she takes pride in nothing therefore, I can't even take anything away from her as a punishment short of donating everything to the less fortunate, which would piss off everyone who spent money on her expensive things. UGH! I have no clue what to do to instill a sense of wrong and right, compassion, anything into this child. We try to set a good example, but no, I can't drop everything and take her to do charity work to try to show her how good she has it...not that I think that would work even if I could put school and work on hold. Does anyone else feel like they're got a hopeless case on their hands??

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Kpep
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:55 PM

I am right there with you with my 11(12on the 29th of this month)DD.

I know I have started noticing my hair is starting to get more silvers than normal and I'm 38.

Lorlou
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Start removing things from her room one by one!  Every mouthy thing she says, everytime she doesn't listen the first time etc.  A naked room will get through to her....of course, don't forget to take the phone, video games and computer too.  My daughter got to mattress on the floor and a few outfits and ablanket at one point....she is going to be ten this month, so I think it goes with the age...she thinks twice now before spouting off at the mough and will often catch herself when she is being rude.  She will say "sorry, I mean...." and change her answer!  It worked to a certain extent!

yakara77
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I would empty her entire room of everything and make her sit in it. As she starts being nicer, start giving things back. She will learn to appreciate what she has when she loses it all. She will hate you for a bit first, but will eventually come around. Do it now before she hits the teens!!!

roboticmom
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 3:26 PM

What is your home life like?  Are you a single mom.  If her dad is invoved I would give over some of the disapline to him.  Are you home a lot, do you have down time together?  My 9 almost 10 year old son was starting to behave like a little brat attitude, smart mouth, just wanted him to go away from me at times.  Has she always been bratty, is this new?  I have been taking walks, letting him scooter and we just walk, downtown and it takes a while.  We do some errands and just hang out.  It feels really good, I feel better already, when he isn't being a tweeny boy we chat about his behavoir and how it does not get him anything but a really awfull experience.  Try it, good luck...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)