Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daughters Growth?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

Just a question I know it might sound dumb but I am wondering?

My tween got her period early It was the summer of 4th grade going into 5th.  She was always the tallest in her class.  Now I noticed most of her friend have passed her she has not grown much.  I know alot of her friends have just started going through there changes.  So is it true that once girls get there period they stop growing.  my husband and I are 5'7 and 6'2.  Parents are also tall.  I know you can't forsee the future but I was just wondering what other parents have seen in there older kids do girls keep growing after puberty.  The pediatrician said she should be about 5'7 but it doesn't look like she is going to reach that.

It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.
Maya Angelou

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
nelopyma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I stopped growing within a year of having my period, but I didn't start my period until I was 13.  I think 5th grade is pretty early to stop growing, so it's entirely possible that she'll continue growing, just more slowly.  BTW, my husband is right around 6 feet, and I'm 5'6, but our 10 year old is destined to be short.  She's around the 3rd percentile for height.

BoxerMomma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:31 PM

My daughter informed me the other day that her health teacher told her that most girls stop growing around 14 and that is when boys start growing.  Now wether or not she heard wrong I don't know.

ceajae
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:54 PM

My pediatrition said that girls hit a growth spurt right before their period and another during the first year of her period.  If she has had her period for 2 years then she is done growing.  My husband however was shorter than I in Highschool his senior year and 2 years later, he was over six foot.  guys are lucky!

Ceajae

mvgmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Thank you I hope that's true. By the way love your boxers.  I work at a vet and we have a boxer that lives there they are the most amazing dogs. But they do tend to eat everything.  I will have to ask my daughter if her teacher has mentioned that she's a little worried now to.

It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.
Maya Angelou

BoxerMomma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Quoting mvgmom:

Thank you I hope that's true. By the way love your boxers.  I work at a vet and we have a boxer that lives there they are the most amazing dogs. But they do tend to eat everything.  I will have to ask my daughter if her teacher has mentioned that she's a little worried now to.

Thanks!  I love my boxers too.  They are my babies and I wouldn't have any other breed (almost said brand that's terrible)! 

How tall is she?

momofsaee
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I had heard that too, but it has not been true for us. My older dd started at 11 and 4 mos and she grew 4 inches in the next two years. She is now 14 and has showed signs of growth until about 6 mos ago. She is officially at the 3 yr mark of the beginning of her period. I think shes about done, but I know when she started she was about 4 ft 11 and she is now at 5 ft 3.5 inches.

kids resize by you.

mommyofcutekids
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 8:16 AM

My dd is 12 and hasn't started yet.  She is very tiny..4'9'' and about 75lb.  I started mine at age 9 and was definately the tallest and most mature in my class.  By 5th grade I was done growing.  5'2" is as tall as I got.  Everyone in my family is short so that was normal.  I would say that once they start they may grow for another year or two.  By the way...I don't mind being short, I think short girls are cute!  : ).  My dd is the "star" basketball player on her team and she is definbately the shortest.

May-20
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 8:51 AM

My DD hasn't started yet, though she has grown taller in the past few months. I'm expecting it within the next year, though.

In my case, when I started age age 12, I was about 5 feet tall. Within 18 months, I was 5'3". But during my freshman year of college, I grew another 1.5 inches. So, who knows? She may have another growth spurt later on.

--------------------
I am a Christian, a conservative, and a mother. I can do anything. Philippians 4:13

Right is right, even if everyone is against it; and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it -- William Penn
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)