Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did you let your daughter wear makeup?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:48 PM
  • 34 Replies

I was a bit floored when I went to my daughters middle school and saw a bunch of 11 and 12 year olds wearing makeup. It wasn't just a bit of lip gloss it was full blown makeup. I personally thought it was ridiculous.

It's not going to happen with my daughter. I feel as though she's to young and I will not allow it. She's a tomboy and hasn't asked as of yet. Thank God!  But I know in a short time that will all change.

So I guess I wanted to get other moms advice on when you let your daughters start to wear makeup?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommybug77
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:50 PM

At my girls school you can't wear makeup. So that means no makeup at school until 9th grade. She is allowed to paint her nails & clear lip gloss.

I was wearing makeup in jr high. It was not a lot b/c it was a Catholic school.

semazani
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

I was a bit floored when I went to my daughters middle school and saw a bunch of 11 and 12 year olds wearing makeup. It wasn't just a bit of lip gloss it was full blown makeup. I personally thought it was ridiculous.

It's not going to happen with my daughter. I feel as though she's to young and I will not allow it. She's a tomboy and hasn't asked as of yet. Thank God!  But I know in a short time that will all change.

So I guess I wanted to get other moms advice on when you let your daughters start to wear makeup?

Our daughter started wearing lip gloss, body glitter stuff (on her face), and perfume in 6th grade.  She was eleven, now twelve.  I see no reason for full make-up or loud colors for nail polish, but she is happy with what she gets to use.  She was very much a tomboy until the last couple of months...it's fun to watch her change and want to look more girly.

InsanitySpeaks
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM

My daughter is 10.  At 11 or 12 she will not be wearing make up.  I MIGHT allow clear lipgloss at 12 or so though.  She's not a very girly girl anyway and she has some sensory issues so it may not even be an issue.  You never know though....

superhippiechik
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:45 PM

I let my thirteen year old wear powder to help with her oily skin, brown mascara and lip gloss.

Mom of Trise and Daiga.
ceajae
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM

My daughter is 12, she is in 7th grade and she gets to wear brown mascara, eye shadow ( if its light and done correctly) and lipgloss, her nails are shorter as she is always in some sport or another but the colors are anything goes, we have a great time doing "themes" like school colors with music notes when she has a concert or like basketballs, or softballs, christmas trees ect.. ( hearts are next I assume) 

many of her friends are wearing eye liner and base already.. Its kinda dumb but my son in 5th grade has several girls in her class that do too.  Our daughter wouldn't be wearing what she does but she made all A's so she is showing responsibility and she gets privileges that go with it.

Ceajae

o2blynn
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:52 PM

I can't see letting children wear full make-up at that age ...but my 10 year old I let wear lip gloss and nail polish (light colors) and I did let her start with clear mascara she wont be ready for any color for a while!

momgirlsx2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:52 PM

My dd is 12 and is just now starting to show an interest in some makeup, but she is not allowed to wear it to school. She is only allowed to wear it when she asks for special occasions at this point, and only eye shadow and little blush. I don't plan on changing this ruling anytime soon.  I don't think make up is a necessity of life and don't want her to be the type person who can't open her door without it.

Proud mom of 2 girls.
aapye
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:54 PM

when I was growing up I had to be 13..  My DD is not there yet ( although I let her paint her nails and wear lip gloss) I think our rule may be 9th grade

MommyO77
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 7:18 AM

good morningI have a 12 yr old daughter now almost 13 next month on the 25th. I went to her school and saw her weraring mack up.  She knew she was in touble and literally ran the other way. When she got home she had washed it off.  I have asked co~workers they all say 15 is when they let their daughters wear make up.

mommyofcutekids
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 8:10 AM

I am obviously the outkast here.  My dd is 12 and in middle school.  She wears light pink eyeshadow, black/brown mascara, powder, little bit of natural blush and lipgloss.  When this school year started, she started asking me to wear makeup.  We went to jcpennys, where they have a wonderful makeup section(you can sample almost all they're products).  I showed her what was appropriate and how to apply it.  I explained the secret to makeup is to make it seem as if you're not wearing any.  There are many girls at her school wearing full makeup (foundation, eyeliner etc.).  They have not been taught how to do it classy/ not trashy.  This is why when she showed an interest I decided to teach her properly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)