Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SORRY PARENTING (PIOG)

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:27 AM
  • 19 Replies

Okay, y'all, I'm at work and let me tell you about what just happened.

Around 12am this mother calls and says that her 11yr old son never came home from school.  She said that she last saw her child when he went to school at 6am yesterday morning.  Well as the story starts to unravel, she says that he called her at 7pm and said that he was at a friend's house and didn't come home because he couldn't find his key. Well, the mom told him to come home and said she had to go somewhere and then she left. 

His friend's mom dropped him off at home, but again, this child doesn't have his key and his mother has left the house so he has no way to get into the house.  Now, fast forward to midnight when his sorry ass mama decides to call the police because she can't find her 11yr old.  Well...we found him.  This poor child was curled up in a ball on the front steps of his school.  He went back there hoping that it would still be open and that he could get in to stay warm.  This is so sad to me that I just wanna cry and then go over and bitch slap his mom AND the mom who just dropped him off without making sure that he actually got inside that house. 

What are your thoughts on this?

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prdusmcmom
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:49 AM
I feel your anger. My son's best friends' mom is a HUGE flake and he pulls this stuff all the time cause his mom is never home. He no longer comes to my house cause I had to open my pie hole and told the child if it happened again I'd turn his mom in. He is flunking out of Jr high and is starting to do drugs and shoplift. I do insist that he come to my house if it is 7 30 pm or later till his "mother" (and I use that term loosely), gets home. There have been nights that he has spent the night because she is AWOL and it is a school night. Yeah, I'd be pissed too. I feel for these kids. Their moms should of been sterilized as teens.
mykidzmom-1
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:54 AM

All I could think is that poor kid could have frozen to death.   (But I see you are in a warmer climate).  Why would the other kids' parent leave when the kid couldn't get in...not that it really had much to do with her but I would have a guilty conscience about the child if I left and he couldn't get in. 

I think if I were the kid I just would have broken in and point out to the mom that she LEFT with out him getting in safely or at least making sure he was.  Leave a key with a neighbor or hide one...why didn't the boy call the mom again??

There is absolutely no excuse for the mom.  If she calls the police then I think she is entitled to some kind of child endangerment/neglect charge.  Serves her right.

I am still shaking my head.  I am sure there is more to the story then we know.  I hope she really isn't that neglectful.  Poor kid.

Cindy18
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:11 AM

That's so sad.

I once had a little girl in elementary school show up at my door and ask if she could stay the night because her dad couldn't get home from wherever he was and told her to find somewhere to stay. I let the girl stay and took her and my daughter to school the next day. When I got to work I called the police station to see what could be done about the sorry excuse for parents and the officer reamed me out. He said I could be the one in trouble for letting the kid stay. I was appalled. I wasn't the one the left my kid abandoned.

It's not a child friendly system and that's so sad.

Cindycoffee

143myboys9496
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:15 AM

jaw dropI can't speak...but here's your bitch slap!

slap 

mykidzmom-1
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Quoting Cindy18:

That's so sad.

I once had a little girl in elementary school show up at my door and ask if she could stay the night because her dad couldn't get home from wherever he was and told her to find somewhere to stay. I let the girl stay and took her and my daughter to school the next day. When I got to work I called the police station to see what could be done about the sorry excuse for parents and the officer reamed me out. He said I could be the one in trouble for letting the kid stay. I was appalled. I wasn't the one the left my kid abandoned.

It's not a child friendly system and that's so sad.

That is ridulous...

Though maybe the girl could have been telling a story...maybe that would have been a good thing to check out to be sure the dad said that.  I could see the dad making a big stink that he never said that...blah, blah, blah.  Sad world we live in.

I am with you though.  I probably would have done the same thing.

burkemom
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:00 AM

THIS  IS  SAD  &  RIDICULOUS  !!!!!!!  It is good to know that kids in this world may not have the best parents but they have  GOOD  PEOPLE  LIKE  US   watching out for them !!!!!!!!  I have help many kids in similar situations.  I try not to judge but to thank God for placing me in the right place at the right time to help the child out .  God Bless !!!!!

JoGibson
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:11 AM

I think both mothers should get charged with endangering the welfare of a child.  First the mother should have gotten in her car and went there to get her kid to make sure he was safe.  She is an idiot to have left the house.  Second the other mother should have made sure he was into the house.  You never just drop some one off.  Hell I sit in the driveway and make sure a grown adult can get into the house.  So much of this makes my blood boil. 

I am a

homeschooling       kitchen loving  child juggling 

pet  wrangling    herb growing       husband loving    book reading         domestic goddess.

DalesLgndLvsOn3
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Sad... you've got to have a license to drive a car but anyone can have kids.... *sigh*

I always make sure when I drop DD's friends off that they go INSIDE and I see a parent or older sibling.  They all know that and make someone get to the door or I go in myself. 

notthemama1
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:16 AM

DHS- POOR LITTLE MAN

jmsmith76
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:20 AM

That is why someone else should always have a key to your house!  And cell phones do make sense for kids that age if you can't be bothered to stay home long enough to wait for your kid, so at least they can call someone who CARES about their welfare.

Grrrr.  That mom does deserve a smack upside the head!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)