Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blessed..jigga jigga WHAT!!

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:11 AM
  • 6 Replies

O.k. I must say I am a very unconventional mom, I am crazy fun, laugh all the time, I let my kids watch R movies, (w/o sexual content) listen to rap although they are not allowed to have boyfriends, or go outside the house without an adult present. O.K. my dd bestfriend, can not listen to rap, or watch R movies but she goes on double dates and has a boyfriend> (their only 11yrs old). Well the point is I do not shelter my kids from reality, and cuss words and such, because it is very real and relevant to today's society. My kids are superly awesome!! My DD just turned 11 and she helps me with everything her little sister's homework, the dishes, garbage, vacuming she is such a blessing!! I just wanted to see how many people felt like they weren't always the best mom (little crazy in her style and not so strict on EVERYTHING!!) Feel that they kids are still very well behaved and a BLESSING!! Sometimes the unconventional mom can be  the BEST MOM EVER!! (proof is in the pudding with your kiddos) !!!

Laurie Parisgirl giving flower

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ShellezCrazy3
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:10 AM

I just wanted to say, we all probably rarely think about things like this.  But your post rings so true.  I am so blessed with wonderful kids.  I am so open and cool with them.  They remind me ten times a week that I am the best mom ever.  They help me when needed, I don't have to put up a fight to get them to help either.  They don't hardly ever complain.  Yet I reward them for all their help.  I am however strict with my rules, such as homework being done FIRST thing, pushing their chair in when finishing at the dinner table, putting their dishes in the sink when done eating, and they NEVER complain, just go with the flow.  Oh, and they know I will not allow them to date until I decide they are mature enough to be alone with an opposite sex.  AND.....they still love me! 

Tuesday my dd12 forgot her science book at school, so she couldn't do her homework.  Her school is VERY strict on their late homework policy, and she was in tears, she didn't want her first lunch detention.  So, I shook my head and said "alright lets go get it, we can talk in the truck".  So we left together, dh watched the boys.  On the way I told her, "you do realize I am going to have to punish you, as you are making me waste my gas right?"  (its only 7 miles one way)  She looked at me, and said "I know momma...........you name it, I'll do it".  I said "ok, your punishment is.........we are going to dairy queen for an ice cream together ALONE".  She laughed so hard.  She is such a good kid.  She beats herself up WAY too much.  We did have our ice cream, and we brought the boys one home too.  I honestly feel, kids go through so much nowadays, there are some things we as parents just need to overlook!  Although a devastating tragedy to a child, I made it about US spending quality time together.  My kids couldn't appreciate that more and I KNOW thats why they are such wonderful kids.  Even my 3 yo has got me figured out. 

So I say keep up what WORKS for your family!!!

hugging

jrdnjstn00
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 7:01 AM

sounds like me too. Here I thought I was a lil too relax on my kids.

I talk to them about everything and I want them to be able to come to me for whatever is on their minds, I don't want them to go and ask their clueless friends. I have 2 boys, they are 10 and 13. I do let them watch R movies. they listen to music that has cuss words in it. They do sometimes see movies that have a sex scene and I turn it or they will because I didn't realize it had that scene. I took each one out, one time last year, early from school to watch a movie. i let them stay at home from school on their b-days. Their school has a strict attendence policy so I make sure they are in school always and that school is the most important thing. My boys get a's and b's. They hold doors open for people, they are mannerly....most of the time. They help when I ask them too without any back talk. They know that I'm the boss and they klnow that if they dissrespect me that they will not see their next b-day.

There are so many kids who are too sheltered or way out of hand. I'm not saying mine are perfect. There are times when I wish they'd go away but I love em with all my heart and would do anything for them

bleumonster
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 9:20 AM

I have thought a lot about this. I have friends that are way more permissive than me about boys and letting them go to the mall or skating alone or let them watch anything they want at all hours of the night. I also have friends that shelter their children so excessively that the kids only watch disney videos, aren't allowed to play outside unless she is right there and are never allowed to go to anyone else's house. I am more middle of the road. I don't swear around the kids normally but I have said a word when I hurt myself or drop something breakable lol. I have let them watch PG13 movies (they are 10 and 7 so I haven't moved up to the R rated ones yet lol) where there is swearing. They know why I don't like swearing, its because it is taken the wrong way in society. We have talked about it many times. I don't think kids should be excessively sheltered but I don't think they need to know too much about adult issues either. Sometimes I feel like I'm walking a tightrope lol. I am soooooo not a perfect parent lol.

Kim  

McClurgmama2
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Quoting ShellezCrazy3:

I just wanted to say, we all probably rarely think about things like this.  But your post rings so true.  I am so blessed with wonderful kids.  I am so open and cool with them.  They remind me ten times a week that I am the best mom ever.  They help me when needed, I don't have to put up a fight to get them to help either.  They don't hardly ever complain.  Yet I reward them for all their help.  I am however strict with my rules, such as homework being done FIRST thing, pushing their chair in when finishing at the dinner table, putting their dishes in the sink when done eating, and they NEVER complain, just go with the flow.  Oh, and they know I will not allow them to date until I decide they are mature enough to be alone with an opposite sex.  AND.....they still love me! 

Tuesday my dd12 forgot her science book at school, so she couldn't do her homework.  Her school is VERY strict on their late homework policy, and she was in tears, she didn't want her first lunch detention.  So, I shook my head and said "alright lets go get it, we can talk in the truck".  So we left together, dh watched the boys.  On the way I told her, "you do realize I am going to have to punish you, as you are making me waste my gas right?"  (its only 7 miles one way)  She looked at me, and said "I know momma...........you name it, I'll do it".  I said "ok, your punishment is.........we are going to dairy queen for an ice cream together ALONE".  She laughed so hard.  She is such a good kid.  She beats herself up WAY too much.  We did have our ice cream, and we brought the boys one home too.  I honestly feel, kids go through so much nowadays, there are some things we as parents just need to overlook!  Although a devastating tragedy to a child, I made it about US spending quality time together.  My kids couldn't appreciate that more and I KNOW thats why they are such wonderful kids.  Even my 3 yo has got me figured out. 

So I say keep up what WORKS for your family!!!

hugging

This sounds just like my dd and my relationship.she too gets very upset if she thinks she is going to get in any kind of trouble at school,and the ice cream punishment is totaly something we would do lol!!

McClurgmama2
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 1:39 PM

i am one of the moms that lets my kids watch pretty much what ever i would watch,unless it has nudity of course.yes we swear around our kids and you would think they would swear to being around it but its just the opposite,they are all blessings and my 2 oldest help out so much around the house with out even having to be told.my 12yr old likes to make us dinner and does laundry and dishes and my 5 yr old likes to help do any thing she can.my 5 yr old just loves scary movies and i have gotten bashed for it plenty of times but that is what she always picks out to watch and she always tells us she knows its pretend and she has never had nightmares or been afraid to sleep in her room at night because of them so i let her.i would let them listen to what ever music they wanted to,but so far i have got lucky and they like country mostly so you dont realy hear to many bad things there.my husband does listen to some rap when the kids are in the car though.i think everone has their own parenting ways and as long as we give are kids lots of love and help them grow up to be good kids,we are all doing a great jod how ever we choose to get it done.it sounds like you all have great kids so good job mamas keep up the great work!!

monshine2
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I am a lot like you - pretty laid back and not overly uptight on what she watches, listens to, etc... My DD is 12 (almost 13) and does have a BF but doesn't see him outside of school except once in a while when a group is at the park. She is very active is sports, is a great kid - helps with her little sister, around the house, etc... We got lucky with her for sure! She knows right from wrong and I trust her which is what counts the most...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)