• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Classroom insanity

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:43 PM
  • 14 Replies

So, My DD has been having issues in her Math class all year so I finally went and sat in the class yesterday to see what was going on there because I knew the problem couldn't be ALL my child after talking on the phone with the teacher several times...

OMG!!!!!! These kids walked in class and never shut up, were up and down in there seats ( some even sat on the floor) , didn't pay attention, 2 were kicked out of the class and the principal came up to yell at them which did no good. There was a quiz that they never quit talking through, 3 never got it done because they were busy getting in trouble, etc... There is less than no respect from some of these kids toward each other and especially the teacher.

Seeing all this it was no Effing wonder no learning was happening! My DD has been involved in talking and some antics in the class but what does the teacher expect when she seats her in the middle of the real troublemakers?! I told her she needs to move DD's seat somewhere else and that it's time to get creative in punishments. I also wrote the princpal and 7th grade counclor a long email letting them know what I saw and how I feel.

Ok thanks for the vent but what creative ways have you heard, seen or can think of to help this teacher regain control of these monsters (I mean kids)

Thanks for the help

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennifer_s
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Sounds like my daughter"s classmates! I had to look at your profile to see where you lived! I feel so sorry for my daughter and the handful of good kids who have to sit through all that. Savannah has even had to endure class punishment because of the majority of her class, and she never gets in any trouble.

(she's in 7th grade as well)

monshine2
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I admit my daughter has her downfalls and can be a talker in class but OMG...she's an angel compared to these other hoodlums (lol) Little shocks me but sitting in that class did!

Quoting jennifer_s:

Sounds like my daughter"s classmates! I had to look at your profile to see where you lived! I feel so sorry for my daughter and the handful of good kids who have to sit through all that. Savannah has even had to endure class punishment because of the majority of her class, and she never gets in any trouble.

(she's in 7th grade as well)

Soccermomtx1
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 11:17 AM

My advice if you don't get anywhere with the principal take it to the school board. In Texas we have a state mandated test TAKS test that each child must pass in order to be promoted to the next grade. Your child could have straight A's, but fail this test 3 times and you don't get promoted. Now I don't know if you have this sort of test or not, but if you do and God forbid your daughter can't learn enough to pass this test and be held back! Yes, I would take it to the school board if the principal can't help.

monshine2
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 10:37 PM

We don't have that test here in CA but none the less my daughter should have the chance to learn in that class and I have no problem going to the school board. I sat in the class Thurs, emailed the principal Fri and haven't heard anything back as of now - Sun night. They are off of school all next week for the presidents b-day's so I will give it a little time but then I'm on it like white on rice LOL

I'm going to suggest to the teacher to have the kids that can't or won't behave to run laps or up & down the stairs (2 story school) to see if that drives the point home. It reminds me of those true life movies about schools in the ghetto (which we do NOT live in) and the teacher gets all creative to get the class to learn LOL

Quoting Soccermomtx1:

My advice if you don't get anywhere with the principal take it to the school board. In Texas we have a state mandated test TAKS test that each child must pass in order to be promoted to the next grade. Your child could have straight A's, but fail this test 3 times and you don't get promoted. Now I don't know if you have this sort of test or not, but if you do and God forbid your daughter can't learn enough to pass this test and be held back! Yes, I would take it to the school board if the principal can't help.

Kathleen1
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 8:06 AM

That is exactly what goes on in my daughter's class no wonder they can't get anyhing done or a decent grade.

The teachers need to make learning meaningful.   They need to ask the kids what do they want to study(math related) for instance how tall is the washington  monument......the what?  now they learn something new already  see?

Good luck.

Kathleen

Bonnie72
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Why are they out of school a whole week for President's Day. Sounds like the teachers don't like working.

Oh and it's a good thing, you sat in on the class.

Good luck.

Lorlou
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Quoting Bonnie72:

Why are they out of school a whole week for President's Day. Sounds like the teachers don't like working.

Good luck.

I am sorry your daughter is going through this and has every right and responsibility to learn.  Please follow up on this and go as far up the chain as you need to.  Girls in our country especially, already lag behind in math and sciences.

As for the quoted comment, I just want to say that Teacher's do not choose when we get a vacation. (at least in the district I work in.)  It is scheduled in to meet the State Education Department Guidelines and done by administrators.  We get no say in when they are.  Honestly, I would much prefer to get out of school a week earlier in June (we go until the last Friday in June and many other schools are out in May or the first of June.)  The vacation is called "Winter Break" and was originated many, many years ago as a way to conserve energy.  The truth is everyone in the state has to meet the same number of mandated teaching days...how they do it can differ.  I am not sure if all states have the same number of minimum days but I know my school actually is contracted for 10 days MORE than what is required by the state!

jns131
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 10:51 AM

It all depends on the teacher and how much respect the teacher and class has with eachother. My daughter will not have the same teacher for language arts in September, whew, because of her attitude towards her. My husband teaches at a school of last resorts and this sounds like a class out of control. Classroom management is something you have or you don't. If you don't? The classroom chaos is going to be hell and no learning will be done here. Sounds like the teacher needs some classroom management classes. Good luck. I have a teacher problem thank heavens.

Bonnie72
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Hey, I didn't mean anything personal...was more of a joke...a lot of my friends are teachers...I just thought it was odd that school was out a whole week.

Quoting Lorlou:

Quoting Bonnie72:

Good luck.

I am sorry your daughter is going through this and has every right and responsibility to learn.  Please follow up on this and go as far up the chain as you need to.  Girls in our country especially, already lag behind in math and sciences.

As for the quoted comment, I just want to say that Teacher's do not choose when we get a vacation. (at least in the district I work in.)  It is scheduled in to meet the State Education Department Guidelines and done by administrators.  We get no say in when they are.  Honestly, I would much prefer to get out of school a week earlier in June (we go until the last Friday in June and many other schools are out in May or the first of June.)  The vacation is called "Winter Break" and was originated many, many years ago as a way to conserve energy.  The truth is everyone in the state has to meet the same number of mandated teaching days...how they do it can differ.  I am not sure if all states have the same number of minimum days but I know my school actually is contracted for 10 days MORE than what is required by the state!

Lorlou
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Quoting Bonnie72:

Hey, I didn't mean anything personal...was more of a joke...a lot of my friends are teachers...I just thought it was odd that school was out a whole week.

Quoting Lorlou:

Quoting Bonnie72:

Good luck.

No problem, and I don't take offense to things, just explain my side!!  Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)