Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Tween modeling ??? what would you do

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 4:41 PM
  • 8 Replies

Ok so my dd has been bugging me to model for a long time and I always blow her off for several reasons. Well stupid me inquired to a modeling agency in our area and sent them some pics of her . Well they responded somewhat quickly and wanted to set up a meeting. Well I just ignored it figuring they send everyone that same e-mail. Well they have sent 2 more more since that ,only more personal (meaning more like some one took the time to write it and it's not just a standard e-mail ) They are saying they would really like me to bring her in . I haven't told her this because she would just nag and nag about it . My Family is very against this and I know I would really get slack for it . As well as I don't know if I feel like going down that road right now she's only going to be 12 this June. What would you guys do ????????

by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sahlady
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Do you think she has a strong enough personality to handle rejection?

Do you think you and your husband are strong enough to keep her centered on what 'real' beauty and worth are?

My sil has had both her children model.  They have done numerous print adds and all the money has gone into college funds for the kids.  The kids were between 1 yr and 9 yrs old and looked at it as a game.  My sil was very very careful how she presented the whole thing.

My daughter's friend (14 yrs) has done quiet a bit of print work, a nation commercial, and has gone on a couple auditions for disney shows.  She is very down to earth, does not bring it up, and all her money is in a college fund.

It can be done.  It is a ton of work.  And more over you must work very hard to keep your child grounded in what is truly important in life.

sahlady
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 5:10 PM

BTW.... if the modeling agency wants you to pay a fee, or wants you to sign up for classes - it is a scam.  They should not make you pay a dime but get a percentage of the money the child makes.  READ everything very well before signing!!!

momofsaee
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 5:18 PM

One of my really good friends has all 3 of her kids in modeling. The oldest is about 9 and then the second is 4 and the youngest is 13 mos. They are all red headed kids so they are well sought after. ONe of the things I notice is that she has to be able to just pick up and go when they call her. I think he misses a lot of school for auditions and things. Her youngest has her face on a new baby product distributed by babies r us. SHe does it because its fun, but I don't get the impression that she makes a lot of money off of it. I really don't know. As far as what a tween would deal with, I really don't know.

LuvvyBoo
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 8:53 PM

I would try it and see what happens!  Myy eldest daughter just got picked up by a modeling agency and I'm for it.  but I plan on being cautious and watchful for my daughter.

~Mary

Mommy to Janelle 11/29/97 & Cambria 4/20/99

Angie430
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 9:03 PM

If you believe she is strong enough inside not to let this become what determines her worth as a girl why not check it out but be careful 

Angie
bjfreeman1
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I'd let her try it and see where it goes!

dancemom3
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Ok, when you say your family is against this, does that mean the family in your home or like grandparents, etc? If it's something your dh is not on board with are you willing to fight with him over it? Or let her fight with him over it? I have a 12 year old that we have a list of aencies to contact when we are off track next month. She is very interested in pursuing this and her dance teacher is behind her 100% as we are too. In her dance studio there are several kids who already have agents and go on auditions frequently, it's a lot of work, but if both you and your dd are willing to put her out there it could have big payoffs and be a lot of fun in the process! Good luck!

John & Shawn          Sydney                        Jordan                       Brooklyn

7/6/95                                                                               

visit my blog    http://whatsupwiththewells.blogspot.com/

Lorlou
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Proceed with caution.  Only you know how your dd would respond to this...emotionally and behaviorally!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)