Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 11 year old got her period!!!!! please please help!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:37 PM
  • 7 Replies

My 11 year old DD Asia just got her period. and she refuses to change her pad in school because she says its to embarassing. she said " what if im changing my pad or tampon and someone walks in? and what if they go in my stall and they see the used tampons or pads?" her first period started on thursday and ended today. on friday the blood went through her underwear and pants because her flow was too heavy and she refused to change her pad! does anyone have any advise on what i can do to help Asia to change her pad/tampon in a public place? (a.k.a. school bathrooms)

teen girl

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bisouu
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:43 PM
I would go to the school office and speak with the nurse or secretary and allow her to use the restroom that should be in the office. She can go on her lunch time and change it then. Once she starts to feel more comfortable she eventually will use the student restroom. We allow this all the time at my school.

Toss Toss No Hands!

Kathleen1
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Use Always Maxi for sizes 14 plus Flexiwigs.

My daughter won't change either(yuck) so I found these and they go all day she does change when she gets home and at night but during the day I have a different brand like for weekends or after school this way I don't worry about leaks.

Good luck

Kathleen

cleopatraof3kid
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 9:37 AM

I got mine at 9, and my mom had the same problem with me. What she did when I refused and it leaked through, was to put multiple pads (not the most confortable thing), but it would stop the leakage. Good luck

YIBBAMOM
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I had the same issue. My daughter started at 10 and it seemed like she never wanted to change or pad or her underwear for that matter. What helped for me was that I explained to her that if she lets her teacher know in class that she needs to use the restroom and why, she will let her go no problem. That way no-one else is in the restroom at that time. Luckily all of her teachers are women so of course they understand. I guess all my daughter does now is walk up to her instructor and flash her pad in her pocket and she goes. I hate to say it but I think sometimes it takes their friends saying something about them not changing, like maybe they smell funny, before they will do anything. Because of course we are only moms and know NOTHING. Now if I can just get my daughter to take a shower more than twice a week, life would be good. :) 

Familytyme
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 3:27 PM

My 11 y/o just got her second period and was having the same issues.  She hates going to the bathroom at school, and didn't want to start doing that just because she had to change her pads.  Well this one came heavier then her first and she leaked leaving a big red spot in the back of her white pants!  She was horrified and called me to bring her some new cloths.  Well we only have one car, and my husband had an appointment in Bradenton so he took the car that day.  She was quite upset that I wasn't able to bring her some new cloths.  I told her that I was sorry, and instructed her to tie her seweater around her waist.  We had a talk that night about the need to change and how often, that we never wear white when we are on our periods, and pack an extra pair of shorts just in case.  I think/hope she learned her lesson. 

dancemom3
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Quoting Kathleen1:

Use Always Maxi for sizes 14 plus Flexiwigs.

My daughter won't change either(yuck) so I found these and they go all day she does change when she gets home and at night but during the day I have a different brand like for weekends or after school this way I don't worry about leaks.

Good luck

Kathleen

Ohhh, good info! My dd1 started in July and hates to change the at school and will go all day (so gross!) until she gets home to change it...YUCKO!  I will have to get these next time!

~Shawn~Mommy to 3 divas~wife to John~
jessnsamimom
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I got my period at 11 too. I was the first of my friends. Remind her that if she does not regularly changer her pad, not only can she leak through her clothes, but there will be an odor and EVERYONE will know she has her period.

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)