Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Safe Email for tweens?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2007 at 3:36 PM
  • 9 Replies
Hey guys!

Ok, I am looking for a safe email for my tween. My husband set her up a yahoo account, and she knows not to open anything ugly that comes in, but that's the problem--I don't want her even seeing the disgusting subject headings that come in.

Anyone know of a safe site?

Thanks!
KathyG

Check out my latest project! Baby Jessie
by on Sep. 3, 2007 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jacksmom225
by on Sep. 3, 2007 at 3:38 PM
The only thing I really think is safe is something like AOL, where you can completely control what they get and send.  If you're talking about free sites like yahoo or hotmail...Yahoo I personally think is horrendous because you get so much filth and hotmail is not much better.  JMHO, some people have no problem with the aformentioned sites but I had bad experiences with both of them personally and wouldn't set my kid up with either.

Rachel

BluGnat
by on Sep. 3, 2007 at 3:42 PM
My son has Gmail, and he's only been allowed to sign up for Penguin Chat and iTunes, so hasn't had nasty spam so far.  Plus, Gmail has a really good spam filter.  It also has an integrated chat system - and it stores all of the chats.

My Blog

kleea1969
by on Sep. 3, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Not really the only thing I can think of is if you know her password and she doesn't and you check it first and delete the garbage out first.  My daughter has a yahoo and I never had that problem with her email she is not allowed to open the bulk folder.  We just empty it without looking.
HeritageHottie
by on Sep. 3, 2007 at 3:49 PM
She used to have one at Whyville, and as fun as that place is for them, they don't have the personel stop any of the against the rules communications that happen there. They are about 2 days behind. So if someone asked for an address or number, the system says " you can't ask that", but they have ways of hiding the message, hiding phone numbers in text, etc. I know that's not the same as email, but I wish there was something like yahoo for kids.

mom2megbry
by on Sep. 3, 2007 at 8:19 PM
I'm using kidsafemail.com ... I think of it like email with training wheels. It's not free, but it gives me peace of mind. My daughter got to pick a domain ... she picked name@thegirlsrock.com. The cool part is that she can only send and receive email from people I add to the list. That means no spam! And she can't sign up for any new accounts because the confirmation emails will bounce. When she wants to sign up for something we sit down and do it together. If something she sends is rejected by their filters or if someone unauthorized sends her email, it's blocked and I get a copy.

At one point she and her friends were fighting by email so I deleted her friends and told her I'd add them back when she agreed never to say anything in an email that she wouldn't say to their face. It works beautifully for me.

When she learns a few more lessons I'll probably get her an account at my ISP ... The freebie accounts like yahoo, hotmail, etc. are spammed like crazy.

HeritageHottie
by on Sep. 4, 2007 at 1:43 AM

Holy cow--thanks so muck . That is exactly what I am looking for! How much per year?
semazani
by on Sep. 4, 2007 at 6:30 AM
We use AOLKids.  I have the parental controls set so the only mail that can go to their main folder is from specific addresses I have added.  All other stuff goes to their SPAM folders and only I can access that with a password.
mom2megbry
by on Sep. 7, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Quoting HeritageHottie:

Holy cow--thanks so muck . That is exactly what I am looking for! How much per year?
They advertise it as 13 cents per day. If you pay up for a year it's $3/month or $36. If you don't prepay it's $4/month. But they give volume discounts too.
Details: www.kidsafemail.com

c.johns
by on Sep. 7, 2007 at 8:49 PM
My kids have both a yahoo and gmail account. I set up the gmail ones for them and their SS set up the yahoo ones by lieing about their ages (they are 11 and 12)... but my younger son likes to chat with his friends so I did not make him delete it. I do have the password to all the accounts and I check them daily.  My sons know not to open the "bulk" folders  and I delete it just like I do with mine. (oh btw, you can set up yahoo to automatically trash the spam as it comes in... you just run the risk of something being deleted that was not really spam???)

388358xyo4uobllt.gif picture by azblondetwin

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN