• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this normal- 13 yr old + period

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hey,

My DD is 13, she has had her period for about a year. The last 2 months it has been heavier, she has had worse cramps. Yesterday I had to pick her up from school, her cramps were so bad and she felt dizzy and actually thought she was going to faint. She came home and rested took some ibuprofen and felt better. Today she feels better, but is still a little dizzy. I am thinking that I should take her to the Dr, maybe she's a little anemic.

Anyone else DD experience these symptoms with their period?

Thanx

Jane

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Familytyme
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I think you are right, she very well could be anemic.  Make sure she gets lots of iron when she is on it.  As for the cramps, I got them real bad during ovulation when I was her age.  My doc just told me to sit with my feet elevated and it really helped.

Blessed2BMommy2
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I just watched and episoid of  The Dr's about this recently. The girl had to be put on birth control pills to treat her symptoms.  My advice would be, call the doctor....

Good Luck!

Darice

blessed.mom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:11 PM

My dd had a shift for the worse also only hers came much closer to starting out than your dd is experiencing.  We have been to her pediatrician twice and she is on iron supplements every day now and we are taking a wait and see attitude for everything else which is very challenging.

Gina

MamaOfThree1973
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Same happened to my sister. She also had to be put on birth control to help. Later she had endimertiouses (LOL I know thats mispelled). Does that run in your family? I hate to see a 13 yr old put on birth control, but they helped my sister alot. She did not mis school nearly as much.

gallwina
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 8:30 PM

THat is how I used to be when I had my period... I had to go home early from school on one day a month usually...

What you need to do is see if she is anemic AND make sure she drinks juice and water A LOT when she is on her period... she needs to get blood back that she loses faster...

Margoann76
by on Apr. 11, 2009 at 3:14 AM

My daughter is going through similar stuff.  She gets so sick regular ibuprofen no longer helps.  I would check in with the doctor and see if everything is alright.  If it is ok then maybe they can help with some remedies for her to help cope.  They know so much more  and things are so much more open now a days than when we were young.  My question is, at what point do we go to the gyn versus the pediatrician.

runner231
by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 9:13 AM

My DD's period aren't bad but I remember when I was young I used to get very weak and even fainted on the first day of my period. I wasn't anemic but I would take your DD to the doctor to have her checked out.

Natalieyellow ribbon

Loretta_Momof4
by on Apr. 16, 2009 at 10:31 AM

My dd started her period right before her 12 bday and everything was normal for 6 months then she stopped having her period for 3 months when she started back she was getting dizzy, headaches and cramping.  The doctor has checked her out and decided the dizziness and headaches are period induced migrains so as soon as she starts getting any symptoms she is to take the medicine the doctor prescribed and the meds should also help with the pain in her tummy too.

So my suggestion if you havent already done it get her to the doctors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)