Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kid googled my name at school and found......BEWARE!?

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:54 AM
  • 19 Replies

Posts I made on here, this group about her, and she was majorly embarassed as her and friends were googling parents names during computer free time.

So, I guess this is a warning to some of you parents who have thier names in thier signature lines ( I am assuming this is why she found the posts). in case you talk about anything personal about your teen/tween with as wired as kids are today they actually might be able to easily find it (or say someone who doesnt like them) and see what personal things you share. I felt really bad for my dd as this is the only tween/teen group I am on so I have shared some very personal issues, essentially like we all have!!

by on May. 8, 2009 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shervert1
by on May. 8, 2009 at 9:21 AM

wow mama,you got busted! It is amazing how much free time they get in school these days huh?

ZarsMom
by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:35 PM

My DD does this all the time. The only thing she can find is pictures of DH and I in Iraq. She gets a kick  out of it.

SNKMama
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Oh god if Austin & Brianna found out about my posts here, about their private issues.. i'd be dead mommy.. .lol

----------
Twins: Brianna & Austin
Born: 11/10/1996
School: 6th Grade, Year before JR High!
jjamom
by on May. 8, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I try to be really careful on here and not divulge personal information, but I googled myself just to see what would come up.  Thankfully there are only a few things that came up, mostly from some volunteer work I do, and NOTHING from here!  Whew!

But, I agree we need to be really careful, not just for ourselves, but for our kids too.  Thanks for posting this.

Singlemomks
by on May. 8, 2009 at 3:10 PM

You need to change your privacy setting on CM...they have done an awesome job in protecting our privacy - and I have tested mine since changing.  Literally - NOTHING from CM was on google. 

DawnPratt23
by on May. 8, 2009 at 3:54 PM

As a group owner of other sensitive groups, I have placed on the groups a privacy block that even if profiles arent private my members posts are private. Some groups are private and other arent. Glad I havent posted anything private about my son only my little 2. However my profile is also private-so most cant see posts unless I want them. Thanks for the heads up.

Group Owner of Custody Solutions http://www.cafemom.com/group/43565

mountainmom70
by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:01 PM

YIKES! Just did mountainmom and there was a trail of things! I never really talk about her now or my dh... so SAFE!

DalesLgndLvsOn3
by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:05 PM

It isn't just the Moms with their names in their screen names, it's anyone.  I did mine and there are tons of things.  I learned this a couple years ago though when I was on a different forum type site.  I think CM should make all of the group posts private so that no one can google what is said here. 

PhillyinFrance
by on May. 9, 2009 at 6:01 AM

I agree that CM should simply not allow any of its content (questions, answers, profiles) come up in Google.  Also be aware that even if changing some privacy settings may help, it can take months before the information disappears from google.

There are sites that do this (I know, cause my daughter has a blog... and believe me I couldnt' get to it by searching.. had to go through the history and a series of links from other blogs!?!).   And believe me, if in those blogs (i.e its skyblog or skyrock I am referring to) allowed searchs, alot of parents would be damned surprised at the s**t their kids post!  

However, as for your kid googling you... well, lesson learned, but I'd also turn it on her - its a good example to teach her that everything we say and do can be caught on media, and show up on the internet.  Even if she is just the subject of a photo, if she is doing something wrong, it will likely turn up on internet.

rfourangels
by on May. 12, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Wow- I can say I'm not surprised. That is exactly why I don't give any personal information, or may name, no identifyers, and I don't share personal information about my family either. Everything is set on private. I also post things I don't mind if they read...

Be careful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)