Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food/Snack

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:54 PM
  • 5 Replies

Has anyone delt with over eating or tweens not having self control?

by on May. 24, 2009 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SmoochyPoochy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Let me first ask how old is your child?  I am asking because my daughter seriously at every given second of the day says she is hungary.  She has also gained weight this year, but  I will say this she is getting ready for puberty.  She has gone from a size 7/8 (at the beginning of the year) to a size 10/12 shirt/shorts (this is so they wont show her stomach and her behind) and she is still in a size 8 jeans.  If she is closer to the age of 9 then she will be hitting a massive growth spurt during the year.  My daughter has gotten to were she eats 3 meals a day, and will still be complaining about being hungary as soon as she is done eating.  She gets a snack at school in the morning, after school, and before bed.  I swear she is going to eat me out of house and home LOL.  I also know that this is just a phase and in a few years she will be down with it and eating like a normal child again.  Good Luck hope this helps a bit.

sahlady
by on May. 24, 2009 at 2:19 PM

We dont do fast food, and I dont keep junk in the house.  So if my kids are going to over eat at least I know it is healthy.  However, now that my daughter is 14 and has some freedom I know she is not making the healthiest choices.  It is good and bad that she is into boys.... she at least is concerned about how she looks so she is a bit more self monitoring and will go to the gym on a semi regular baisis.

My son is eating me out of house and home and is still the skinniest kids in his class..... he has grown an inch in the last month so I just let him go for it.

If she is eating alot and growing - no big deal.  If she is starting down a road to bad food choice - do something NOW!!!  It is so much harder to be a fit adult if you were never a fit child.  Dont keep any junk in the house.

c_turtle21
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:32 PM

All of my kids have SUPER fast metabolisms. When my 12 year old wants a snack she eats cereal....and not the sugar loaded type or she makes popcorn. I also do not keep a lot of junk food in the house. If she is 9 and wears a 10..thats pretty normal it isnt anything to be overly concerned about.

andrea1011
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Tori is 12 and we get her every other week. When she's at her mom's all they have is junk food. When she's at her dad's we have good types of food/snacks. She sometimes doesn't eat the school lunches then by time she get's home she's hungry. When she eats it's sporadic.

SmoochyPoochy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Quoting andrea1011:

Tori is 12 and we get her every other week. When she's at her mom's all they have is junk food. When she's at her dad's we have good types of food/snacks. She sometimes doesn't eat the school lunches then by time she get's home she's hungry. When she eats it's sporadic.

It sounds like she isn't much on a schedule as far as meals and snacks.  My daughter is stuck to her school schedule like glue, and at times it can get under my skin LOL.  She gets lunch at 11:15 M-F, so when she is at home for whatever reason (weekends, teacher work days, and the first couple of wks of summer, spring break) she has to eat lunch at 11:15, and her after school snack is at the same time every day regardless of if she is at school or not.  I would say when she is with you put her on your eating schedule, that cuts out on the sporadic eating and when she gets hungry if she misses a meal with you because she isn't hungary or what not then she will eat. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)