Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Social question: 11 year old boy

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:02 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi,

We have an 11 1/2 year old boy who really struggled with friends this year. One of his "old" friends started being "mean" to him. Another friend cliqued with the "mean" one. His closest friend got moved out of the classroom into another, and now has left the school. He attends a magnet school so none of the kids he knows live too close by. It seems the other kids like him sort of, they say "hi" to him in the hallway. He just hasn't really made any new friends. And doesn't really seem to like anyone that much. Is this normal?

by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
motofamily
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Is he on any teams or a member of any clubs?  That may be a way for him to make connections with other boys.

School is nearing the end and maybe you could have a small end of the year party so that it may open the doors for summer playdates for him.

sahlady
by on May. 25, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Sports have been great for us.  Builds confidence, a way to make friends in other schools, forced interaction helps social skills.... etc.

Stefani74
by on May. 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM

My son has friends at school and is well liked, but he doesn't have any close friends he spends the night with or goes and does things with.  I wonder if that's healthy or normal, but he seems content with things as they are.  He is confident in himself and doesn't really care what other kids think about him.  He doesn't try to 'fit in" just to make friends.  He just tires to be who he is. 

oicmommy
by on May. 25, 2009 at 7:21 PM

We have been having similar problems w\ our 11yr old boy. One local boy he is friends with is not a nice kid, kids from school are nice enough but he never hangs out w\them. We tried football and he said all the kids had friends already. Kids say hi to him he gets invited to parties, I don't think he is a looser. I just don't know!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)