Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

How to explain to 10 year old about menstrual cycles??

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2009 at 8:22 PM
  • 13 Replies

I know that my son knows that "something" happens to women "down there" but I am finding myself entirely clumsy on how to explain it all.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

by on Jun. 30, 2009 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SoCalMommyOf2
by on Jun. 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Honestly I really don't think he needs to know at 10. It will probably just embarrass both of you unnecessarily. You can teach him when he's a little older. My son is 12 and I think he wouldn't care if I tried to explain it to him. Good luck!!

TwinSoccerMom
by on Jul. 1, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Is he asking?  If not, I would wait a bit before saying anything.  I have 10-year-old boy/girl twins and I got them each a book about the changes that will be happening soon - and in my daughters case is starting to.  They had the "puberty movie" at school a couple of months ago.  I previewed each film before and it was just the real basics and stuck to each gender exclusively.  I have been on the depo birth control shot for several years and do not have a monthly cycle any longer and was struggling with how to explain it to our daughter.  I got her this great book by American Girls called "The Care and Keeping of You".  I gave it to her to read right about the time they were scheduled to see the movie and told her to read it at her convenience and ask questions as she has them.  I just bought a very similar book for our son and gave it to him with the same instructions.  I know our daughter has been reading hers and she has asked several questions.  I am not sure our son has cracked his book open yet.  :-)  Anyways, if he is asking, perhaps getting a book like the one I got my daughter - I'll bet you can even find it at the library - and go through that with him.  It will give him enough details without being to much.  And expect him to be completely emarassed as well.  Just tell him that this is uncomfortable for you but you will try your best to explain it and that you realize he will probably be uncomfortable, too.

Good luck!

momto3infl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Have you had the sex talk with him or trying to.  Just explain it during that.  My son asked or has asked several times over the years since he was about 3yrs old and I just answer him.  My son is now 8yrs old.  

Daniellecrimson
by on Jul. 1, 2009 at 8:51 AM

I have a 10 year old son, and basically all I did was to start talking about stuff from his body, to girlfriends, marriage and to sex. I didn't give any real details, and the questions he did have I either explained to the best of my knowledge or we looked up online together. Ya it was a little weird, but since the first talk we had my son has come to me with more questions and he feels comfortable asking me questions which in my option is a great thing.

So I guess my suggestion is to just start talking, one on one, when no one else is around and have the Internet handy for reference. No need to get graphic but medical web sites are useful. Also did you know there is a sperm.com? My son had lots of questions about that! Also that topic dose run into how girls get pregnant, menstral cycles and stuff like that.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/danielle.vega
WebEvie
by on Jul. 1, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Quoting momto3infl:

Have you had the sex talk with him or trying to.  Just explain it during that.  My son asked or has asked several times over the years since he was about 3yrs old and I just answer him.  My son is now 8yrs old.  

What she said. I lean toward the science side so I get very... technical when I explain this stuff. My son is 12 now.

motofamily
by on Jul. 1, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Thank you all very, very much for the replies.  I read them each twice!

We have such an open great relationship, but when it comes to talking about a woman's body, I  become the worst mother on the planet.  When he was younger, and asked how babies are born, I told him that the doctor cuts a hole in the mother's stomach and the baby is taken out...not at all a lie, he was born c-section! One day about a year ago, he approached me, saying, "You lied about the way babies come out..."

wolfgirlbec
by on Jul. 1, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

Is he asking?  If not, I would wait a bit before saying anything.  I have 10-year-old boy/girl twins and I got them each a book about the changes that will be happening soon - and in my daughters case is starting to.  They had the "puberty movie" at school a couple of months ago.  I previewed each film before and it was just the real basics and stuck to each gender exclusively.  I have been on the depo birth control shot for several years and do not have a monthly cycle any longer and was struggling with how to explain it to our daughter.  I got her this great book by American Girls called "The Care and Keeping of You".  I gave it to her to read right about the time they were scheduled to see the movie and told her to read it at her convenience and ask questions as she has them.  I just bought a very similar book for our son and gave it to him with the same instructions.  I know our daughter has been reading hers and she has asked several questions.  I am not sure our son has cracked his book open yet.  :-)  Anyways, if he is asking, perhaps getting a book like the one I got my daughter - I'll bet you can even find it at the library - and go through that with him.  It will give him enough details without being to much.  And expect him to be completely emarassed as well.  Just tell him that this is uncomfortable for you but you will try your best to explain it and that you realize he will probably be uncomfortable, too.

Good luck!

I LOVE this book and I,too,have it for my 8(nearly 9) y/o daughter! But we love anything American Girl! LOL! The book is very well-written and informative though,and I like it because it is right on their level and though accurate and detailed,it is also easy for her to understand.Some other good books-for girls OR boys-are 2 by Robbie Harris-there is one called "it's so amazing! a book about eggs,sperm and babies" (something like that anyway) and there is also one called "It's perfectly normal" which is on the same context.Hope that helps!

Junebug39
by on Jul. 2, 2009 at 9:32 AM

I got my 11 year old daughter the Passport to Purity program.  It was great and it is set up to be used for boys and girls.  It covers puberty, sex, dating, and friends.  It is absolutly wonderful.

sahlady
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Aw heck my son knew about periods by around 4 or 5... maybe earlier.  He would know that sometimes I made him turn his back when we were in a public bath room, and when he went to the market with me he saw me by the tampons.  When he asked I told him adult ladies sometimes bleed a tiny bit from there privates.... it is just something natural that grown up ladies do.  It is just their bodies way of keeping ready in case they get pregnant with a baby.  As he got older and the questions got more specific... I gave more information.

Dont ever be afraid to tell your child what comes naturally to every person on earth... that only gives it some sort of shame and secrecy.  It is simply a part of life and is really no big deal.

sher68
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 9:38 PM

I would wait, he's too young. My son watched a video about puberty in 5th grade but it was only on boys. In middle school they will watch the video on girls puberty, so I would wait a while.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)