Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bike helments

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:06 AM
  • 14 Replies

Do you force your children to wear bike helmets? 

NikkieDe

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gummylump
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I think it's ridiculous

Linda R  - Mom of Twins :)
President GummyLump.com: Toys That Make Sweet Memories
Follow My Blog: gummylump.blogspot.com
Follow Me on Twitter (about Autism) twitter.com/gummylump

Owner WebSpinnersDesign.com: Web Design & Promotion for Small Businesses

TwinSoccerMom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:40 AM

I don't have to force them.  They always have worn them and they do it without being asked.  They even encourage their friends to wear one when they are visiting.  I have seen first-hand the devastation of closed head injuries and have no desire for my kids to go through that hell.

Our town participates in a program where if the police catch you wearing a helmet they give them a coupon for a free ice cream at McDonalds.  They have earned several of them and they love it.

mom2aliltater
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM

My son (13 yo) rides his bike at his dad's house without a helmet.  I have always had a problem with this ... especially since he sends my son off to the store on his bike in the evening by himself (he doesn't cross any streets to get there).  I have complained about this several times, but his dad has never listened.  It worries me!

Well, this past Friday while my son & his father were riding their bikes in the parking lot of that store near his home ... my son was hit HEAD ON by a car speeding through that parking lot.  Thankfully God protected him & he came away with a severe knee sprain, strained neck muscles, bruises all over his body & scrapes .... No major injuries!

This could have been so much worse. What if he had been on the street when it happened? What if when he bounced off the hood of that car & on to the asphalt he had landed on his kneck or head differently?

I urge you ... no matter how stupid you think helmets are ... no matter how inconvenient ... no matter how much your kid argues with you about it ........ MAKE THEM WEAR A HELMET!

I understand that we rode bikes when we were kids without helmets, but honestly ... more people are on the road, more bad drivers are on the road, people are in a bigger hurry, people aren't watching out who is around them .... it is our job as mother's to do what we can to keep our kids a little safer!

My son will NO LONGER ride his bike WITHOUT a helmet!

nelopyma
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Yes, my kids wear helmets.  I don't have to force them, it's something they've been doing since they started riding bikes, so it's just part of it.

TwinSoccerMom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Wow!!  I am so glad to hear that your son is going to be OK.  What a scary situation!  And exactly the reason why I have always had my kids wear helmets.

Quoting mom2aliltater:

My son (13 yo) rides his bike at his dad's house without a helmet.  I have always had a problem with this ... especially since he sends my son off to the store on his bike in the evening by himself (he doesn't cross any streets to get there).  I have complained about this several times, but his dad has never listened.  It worries me!

Well, this past Friday while my son & his father were riding their bikes in the parking lot of that store near his home ... my son was hit HEAD ON by a car speeding through that parking lot.  Thankfully God protected him & he came away with a severe knee sprain, strained neck muscles, bruises all over his body & scrapes .... No major injuries!

This could have been so much worse. What if he had been on the street when it happened? What if when he bounced off the hood of that car & on to the asphalt he had landed on his kneck or head differently?

I urge you ... no matter how stupid you think helmets are ... no matter how inconvenient ... no matter how much your kid argues with you about it ........ MAKE THEM WEAR A HELMET!

I understand that we rode bikes when we were kids without helmets, but honestly ... more people are on the road, more bad drivers are on the road, people are in a bigger hurry, people aren't watching out who is around them .... it is our job as mother's to do what we can to keep our kids a little safer!

mom2aliltater
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Thank you! We are very fortunate that he wasn't seriously hurt or killed.  It was a horrible phone call to get ... and I can't get seem to get it out of my mind.  Every kid I see on a bike now ... if they don't have a helmet - I just want to go & tell them about my son .... and every kid with a helmet - I just smile .... but I still want to tell them "BE CAREFUL!"

No ... a helmet isn't going to put a protective bubble around our children & keep them from harm, but in that moment of danger ... it just may be the one thing that helps them.  Which makes a helmet worth having.

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

Wow!!  I am so glad to hear that your son is going to be OK.  What a scary situation!  And exactly the reason why I have always had my kids wear helmets.

Quoting mom2aliltater:

semazani
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Another yes they wear the helmets, no they aren't forced too.  My crew have never been allowed on a bike without a helmet.  A couple have tried once to ride with no helmet and their bike was put up for the day.  It is not an option to ride without the helmet.  Period. 

Rebecca...wife of Megan...Moms of six crazy kiddos...Seth (14), Madison (12), Zachary (11), Trevor (11), Alex (9), and Nicholas (8).

katgif
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 9:20 AM

When my DD got her first bike she got a helmet and was told to always wear it. She just always has. I never have to remind her, she just does it.

Jen-Jen2677
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 4:56 PM

ditto-my SS doesn't get on his bike with out it on-strapped and everything!

PinkLight
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Yes, my son also wears one, although he doesn't use his bike that much. He also wore a helmet on his electric scooter when it worked. We got a small lawn tractor this year and he mows the lawn. He thinks it's his personal toy. At least he's doing something useful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)