Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Middle school posts....

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

In the past few weeks I have seen several posts where parents are worried about sending there children to middle school. Middle school is JUST another year of school! In 2006 we moved from Germany to Kansas in time for my daughter to attend 5th grade at the elementary school, the next year was 6th at the middle school. To her(and me) if was just another year of school that happened to be in a different building. I caution parents to not let their own insecurities and fears about sending their children to middle school to affect their children. Kids can feel and sense there parents emotion and will often mirror their fears. Most middle schools are set so that 6th graders have very little interaction with upperclassman. In Kansas the 6th graders had their own hallway where upperclassman were not allowed to go. In Virginia the 6th graders have their own wing of the building. Middle school is the NEXT big adventure the chance to meet new teachers and make new and often better friends. My daughter LOVES switching teachers, that way if there is one she doesn't particularly like she only has that teacher for 50 minutes. It also gives her a chance to meet new people and learn to adapt to different situations. Look at middle school from a positive perspective and your tween will too!

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom2aliltater
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:51 PM

I agree with you!  It is just another year.  Full of new & exciting things. We chose to embrace the experiance & my son has loved middle school.

It is one thing to be emotional knowing your child is getting older, starting a new chapter in their life & on the verge of being a teen ... but honestly ... it can be fun & exciting too!

Take a positive approach to it & have fun with it.

monshine2
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM

My DD's Jr high is another school and is 7th & 8th graders only. Although Jr High is a big  transition year, there is nothing to fear about it. They will grow, meet new friends, learn new things and no, it's not all bad t hings haha. My DD played on the schools softball team and played her 1st year of basketball, played in the band and got to travel to local elementary schools and play for them, made lots of new friends (some I like, some I don't but that's life) and is coming out of her shell overall... It's been a good experience

kidorganizer
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:07 PM

I agree that for many children, MS can be exciting and a new adventure.  I also agree that there are parents who may be nervous about their child starting MS and as a result, make their child feel anxious.  However, we cannot ignore the child who DOES feel anxious about change and who needs to be nurtured through the transition.

Marcella

www.organizingthedisorganizedchild.com

starrsun
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Quoting kidorganizer:

I agree that for many children, MS can be exciting and a new adventure.  I also agree that there are parents who may be nervous about their child starting MS and as a result, make their child feel anxious.  However, we cannot ignore the child who DOES feel anxious about change and who needs to be nurtured through the transition.

Marcella

http://www.organizingthedisorganizedchild.com/

Wow..thank you for realizing that it is not ALWAYS the parents 'making their child anxious' about a new school year/new building.

I'm really glad that the previous poster's child was so...easily adjusted. It isn't always like that and like the poster I'm quoting...the anxiety doesn't always come from the parent.

Sorry...this one just HAD to have a response from me..and due to the...fact that apparently....it is deemed the parent,I'm leaving. Later ladies.

runner231
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 4:03 PM

My daughter is going into 7th grade and was fine with middle school. Our middle school starts in 5th grade, the 7th and 8th graders are on another floor. I was a little nervous but not too bad. She is doing well and her attitude has nothing to do with school, just the hormone induced girl attitude.

Natalieyellow ribbon

jns131
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:45 AM

I just started a board forum called Parents of Tweens Starting Middle School. I am currently MIA from the board due to the fact that I am relying on campsites with wi fi. Fun. At any rate, I am making this board everyones board because I do see that a lot of us are having issues with our children starting 6th grade middle school. I want everyone to feel welcome over there, I know two ladies just joined us and I feel bad I am on vacation with a board that is idle. So, head over there, make that your board to vent, anxed or what ever and I will be back shortly. So, go post and have fun. But remember this, I will be making sure we keep this clean. Happy camping everyone!

Jill

Admin to Parents of Tweens Starting Middle School

starrsun
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Quoting runner231:

My daughter is going into 7th grade and was fine with middle school. Our middle school starts in 5th grade, the 7th and 8th graders are on another floor. I was a little nervous but not too bad. She is doing well and her attitude has nothing to do with school, just the hormone induced girl attitude.

I can't figure out how to do the quote thingy for just the part I want to quote,so....

'She is doing well and her attitude has nothing to do with school,just the hormone induced girl  attitude.'

Mine is going into the 7th grade this year( I've said this already,haven't I?) Last year was traumatic for her...new school....new building...now they have teams.... brand new way of school,ya know? We gave her as much positive feedback as possible;talked about it as much as she would allow;did the 'go check it out' thing....

This year..she is sooo excited about school...1.she isn't gonna be the 'youngest'.2. Some of her classmates/schoolmates have FINALLY caught up with her,physically.3.With her being in AG,she already knows where some of the 7th grade classes are.

So,yeah....THIS year...she'll be more comfortable....and since she knows what it is to be...'the new kid',she has more empathy for the 'lil twerps',lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)