Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Has your daughter received the Gardasil shot?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2009 at 11:20 AM
  • 42 Replies

Am looking for any feedback, advice, or suggestions on your experience with Gardasil.  If you have chosen "not" to have your daughter get the shot - why?  I'd love to start this post to help other moms make a decision one way or another.  Information from other moms would benefit a lot of parents.

-Sonia (www.sprawg.com)

by on Aug. 18, 2009 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustPlainOlMOM
by on Aug. 18, 2009 at 11:30 AM

My dd is 13 and I have not taken her to get the shot just yet. I plan on doing this though, with in this next year. The only reason I have not yet done this is because my dd is a big baby when it comes to getting shots. I mean at 13 it takes me leaving the room and two nurses holding her while the 3rd gives her the shot, thats if she don't pass out before then. LOL she usually will pass out once the needle enters her arm. A huge phobia.

Anyway, I think why wouldn't a mom want to get this shot for their dd....  HPV is serious and so many females have this virus n ot to mention the cervical cancer. I know 2 ladies that have passed away from cervical cancer that has progressed and spread. I had cancer cells on my cervix, not from the HPV but from taking away the natural fluids in the vagina. So I say if there is a way to hopefully prevent it, then go for it. I went through h*ll with the treatment and the ladies I knew went through god awful treatment, I do not want to see my dd go through this.

kidkrazyinAK
by Member on Aug. 18, 2009 at 12:14 PM

My DD will be 11 on Thursday, and she finished her shots almost a year ago. She says it hurt more then regular shots, but she had no side effects during or after her shots.

I think all girls should get it as early as possible......we have a family friend who thought it should wait, her DD is not sexually active, so why get it?? We just discovered that her brothers friend went in her room back in May and raped her. Now she has to be tested for everything and who knows what he could have given her......Dealing with the rape itself is hard enough for this family, but what happens if later down the line she finds out she has HPV, and having that shot at 9 or 10 could have protected her.

c_turtle21
by on Aug. 18, 2009 at 2:33 PM

My daughter is 13 and has not nor will she be receiving this vaccine. One reason is it is too new to know how it will and can affect girls in the future. Perhaps when she becomes sexually active we might revisit the issue but as for now she is not in the risk category for needing this vaccine.

NewMexMom
by on Aug. 18, 2009 at 7:03 PM

My daughter is 11-almost 12 and she's had her first round of the shot.  We have to go back in Sept. for another.  She hasn't had any side effects from it.  About a year ago I had asked a nurse about it, and she said that if she's not sexually active then we didn't need to worry about it.  I think why not do it.  Anything to help protect the kids, right?  I'm sure after she's gotten the rest of it, I'll be glad we did it for her.  Hope this helps someone.

Thanks,

NewMexMom

Bjoycassell
by on Aug. 19, 2009 at 7:25 AM

My Dd is only 9, I will start the shot in the next year or two. Most likely when she enters puberty. The point is to start it before your dd becomes sexually active, I would hope this point in her life would be a long way away, and I would know about it, realistically how many of you said to your moms"gee mom I'm thinking about having sex!"?  And for those of you who teach "abstinence only" like I was taught, studies show that kids who are taught that way are just as likely to have sex, but more likely not to use protection, so your kids need it too! Also how can you be sure that even if your dd waits until marriage that her husband hasn't been exposed? hpv has no side effects for a man, and there is not even testing for men! As a mom its our job to protect our kids.

Jillysmom
by on Aug. 19, 2009 at 7:35 AM

My dd will be 10 next week and i'm on the fence. I am going to talk to her dr at her appt and also my my gyn.  It's so new that the longer time effects aren't really known. She isn't sexually active and I don't see her being for some time, no my head isn't in a paperbag, its just between school & dance she is always there or with us.

sneffy014
by on Aug. 19, 2009 at 8:06 AM

My daughter just turned 12 and the Dr. has not suggested it yet. I am on the fence anyway. From what I understand, it doesn't prevent all types of Cervical Cancer and I am not sure it has been studied long enough to see if there are any future side effects.

iteachmykids
by on Aug. 19, 2009 at 8:23 AM

I have 3 daughters and at this time, have chosen NOT to go for the shot.  This is why:

http://blogs.mercola.com/sites/vitalvotes/archive/2009/07/22/Preventing-Gard
asil-Vaccine-Injuries-and-Deaths.aspx

A friend wrote to me:

"I watched the video and then sent it out to everyone I could think of in my address book. I even sent it to those parents of boys - they are trying to pass this into mandatory in every state for BOYS and girls. Not just girls any more. They want it to become as common place as the DTP and MMR for kids.

I like facts - you can't dispute them. And they usually make a point. So think of it this way:
Many may remember the medication phenylpropanolimine ( I hope I got that spelling correct - it throws me every time!). It was in just about every cold remedy on the market from Robitussin on down. It worked great for cold symptoms. This medication was removed from the over the counter market after 18 deaths. . . . . IN 30 YEARS! Only 18!!! How about mini-blinds? They haven't been pulled from the market but have been required to be altered due to the danger of strings and strangulations. The Consumer Product Safety Commision does not even list on their website how many children die (died) each year from these products. Estimates I have been able to find are between 5 and 20 per year. This vaccine has already killed - what was it? 48? young ladies in just about 2 years. And those are just the confirmed deaths. Sweet daughters who didn't need to die. It has maimed more than 3000 permanently and yet it is "SAFE" for our children?"

semazani
by on Aug. 19, 2009 at 8:47 AM

We will not get this shot for our daughter under any circumstance.  She is 12.5.  I see no reason for her to be a guinea pig for a brand new shot where the long-term effects are not known. 

Rebecca...wife of Megan...Moms of six crazy kiddos...Seth (14), Madison (12), Zachary (11), Trevor (11), Alex (9), and Nicholas (8).

nosborne
by on Aug. 19, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Nope, and after actually researching it, she will not get it either.  It is still WAYY to new, and there are too many bad side effects still.  Besides why would you vaccinate your 12 y/o against an STD?  If she decides to do it when she is an adult, and can make the desision herself, that will be her choice, and i will stand behind her all the way.  I will not make that decision for her now considering the newness of the drug and the side effects it causes.

WooHoo!!  We made it to 9 months of breastfeeding!!!

in lovebreastfeedinglistening to tunesplaying soccer girl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN