Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

middle school and homework

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:08 AM
  • 42 Replies

School starts on Monday and my almost thirteen year old son will be going into 7th grade and I dread the homework!  I also have a 9 year old daughter  going into 4th grade and I know that she will have a lot to do too.  Sometimes I feel like everything we do revolves around homework does anyone else feel this way?     

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NikkieDe
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:45 AM

YES!!!  My 10 year old daughter is dyslexic and the 45mins of homework that is given takes her all night to do!  My 8 year old does better but there is still a lot of homework to be done and my High Schooler goes straight up to his room and is there all night doing homework.  I don't know about you but there is a lot of mommy homework as well.  We have to sign just about everything that comes home; signing up to 5-6 items a night; for each child.  I've gotten so sick of it that I went and bought a signature stamp and started stamping away.  It sounds silly but it takes up a lot of time that could be spent helping the kids do homework.

NikkieDe

roudybunch
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Yes!  I call our house the crazy house after school b/c everyone once something at once.  My 4th grader has been having science and math homework pretty much every night.  Thankfully, my 6th an 8th graders do not need much help.  But I still have a 4 and 3 year old plus an 11 month old.  Then I try to get supper made too.

tmedae
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I agree completely agree my 9 yr old has ADD so we have to turn everything off and shut out the world so there are no distractions or he doesn't get his homework done.  He still usually has at least an hour of homework and he gets so frustrated because he wants his free time to play with his friends around the neighborhood.  I feel so bad for him some days and wished I could just do it for him but we keep pushing on

BooBooKitty100
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM

My son has been in 7th grade for about 5 weeks and he doesn't need as much help this year as years past.

tk9698
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 9:01 AM

My two boys just started 7th & 5th grades.....they just started and i"m already getting aa call from the principal and my oldest is close to being kicked off the bus.....HELP!

tnterri
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Homework Ugh!!! My daughter who is 11 and adhd just started 6th grade middle school...I was prepared for math homework every nite because at orientation they told us that would be the case but hell homework in every class every nite is already starting to get old...and we have been in school for almost a month....With her being adhd it is hard...

tnterri

semazani
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 9:12 AM

We have six kids....8th, 7th, 6th, 6th, 4th, 2nd.  Our older four get home about 30 minutes before the younger two.  We attempt to have most, if not all, homework done by the older kids before the younger kids get home b/c it is less hectic.  Our 8th grader typically has about 20 minutes of homework each night (on average), our 7th grader typically has little to none on the homework front b/c she does it during free time at school, one of our 6th graders has homework for an average of 30 minutes, our other 6th grader has homework for about 1.5 each night (honor's bs), our 4th grader spends about 30 minutes, our 2nd grader spends about 5-10 minutes.

Our time extends when there is spelling involved b/c one of our 6th graders has a lot of trouble with spelling so we spend more time studying with him each day on that.  Our 6th graders also have band, so they have 20 minutes of practice time a day.  When there are tests/quizzes the study time also extends b/c we have to work individually with them.

We have zero tv time and the kids not working on homework are not allowed in the front areas of the house b/c of distractions or the noise level is unfair to those trying to focus.  We have also, in the past, had reading time for those who are done with homework....they have to read for at least 20 minutes a day anyway, so that is a way to get that out of the way for those who don't read at bedtime. 

Rebecca...wife of Megan...Moms of six crazy kiddos...Seth (14), Madison (12), Zachary (11), Trevor (11), Alex (9), and Nicholas (8).

PinkLight
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 11:12 AM

My son also has ADHD and dyslexia and for many years in elementary school, we didn't do homework. He learned to read in the summer before 5th grade, so it made sense to do some. He was also in vision therapy most of the 5th grade year, so much of the homework was doing their exercises. We also began working with spelling words - 10 a week last year. There's another IEP meeting scheduled in September and homework expectations will be part of it. I don't mind him doing some homework, however, if it starts running our lives, that's a different story. I think that kids with ADD and/or learning disabilities need to have modified assignments.

ghostmom2u
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I so know how you feel, my soon to be 13 yr old daughter just started 7th grade little over 3 weeks ago and I'm already wanting to strangle a couple of the teachers. There has only been a few rare and I mean RARE occasions that she has a little homework to the point she may have time for a social life after homework.  I thought it was going to be horrendous due to her starting a new school and my recent separation so she's being a trooper just when she comes out of the school she has that look on her face that all of parents have learned to read so well.  Hope all of your kids school yr starts off well and stays that way. Now to enjoy a somewhat peaceful day without kids for me today. Loving mom of 18yr old son and 12 1/2 yr old daughter Ahh calgon take me away!!!!

semazani
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Quoting PinkLight:

I think that kids with ADD and/or learning disabilities need to have modified assignments. 

I highly disagree with the part that kids with ADD need modified assignments....one of our boys has ADD and one has ADHD.  They are expected to do the same work as everyone in their classmates.  One of our boys had an IEP for issues outside his ADHD which was definately needed.  I think they need to learn that, while it may take longer, they will be expected to do the same things as the other kids b/c real life doesn't hand them exceptions b/c of ADD/ADHD.  Our kids with ADD/ADHD actually have less time doing to schoolwork than their sibling who is in the honor's bs (he spends at least an 1.5 each night). 

Other learning disabilities do need some adjustments that may last through their school career, but I am a huge supporter of working towards removing the child from the IEP as soon as they can do so...the beginning of doing schoolwork with everyone else will be an adjustment and take longer than typical, but they are able to adjust with time. 

Rebecca...wife of Megan...Moms of six crazy kiddos...Seth (14), Madison (12), Zachary (11), Trevor (11), Alex (9), and Nicholas (8).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)